Thread: Buying a car in the north of ireland.

Buying a car in the north of ireland.

Hoping someone can help clear this up. Not the usual question regarding Vrt and customs. Looking to buy a used car in donegal what are my options in terms of collecting it due to current level 5 restriction.

I will be travelling from Dublin. Can I explain if I get stopped that the car is essential to get to work?
    Any help or personal experiences would be appreciated.
    Thanks

BMWHaus Guru
    I don’t have any experience, but dealers/garages are all open so I assume buying cars is deemed an essential service. Or at least that’s the argument I’d be making!

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenKane View Post
    I don’t have any experience, but dealers/garages are all open so I assume buying cars is deemed an essential service. Or at least that’s the argument I’d be making!
    That’s my thoughts as they are still open up north could I use that as leverage. Just be a bit worried if you got the wrong guard might not go down well. Thanks for the help.

BMWHaus Guru
    Just to jump in on this thread rather than starting a new one. Would I be correct in saying that importing from the North is the same as it was pre brexit as long as the car is registered in the North?
    E92 Interlagos Blue M3 - Current
    F10 Sophisto Grey 530d M-Sport - Sold
    F21 M135i Estoril Blue - Sold
    E92 Sapphire Black 335d M-Sport
    - Sold
    E36 328i SE Low Miler - Sold
    E46 Estoril Blue M3 - Sold
    E46 Titan Silver 330ci Clubsport - Sold
    E36 Cosmos Black 318is - Dead

BMWHaus Contributor
    I'm interested in this too, I had my eye on a car up the country but was afraid to travel due to the restrictions. Said I'd wait until April in the hope it would still be for sale and that they might relax the travel restrictions, but unfortunately the cars has since sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketron View Post
    Just to jump in on this thread rather than starting a new one. Would I be correct in saying that importing from the North is the same as it was pre brexit as long as the car is registered in the North?
    Definitely no vat or duty if its a Northern Irish car from New or it was a GB car and imported to the north before the 1st of Jan. Still not 100% sure if GB cars registered in the North after Jan 1st are liable for vat or duty. Have heard conflicting stories.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alanmcgrath40 View Post
    I'm interested in this too, I had my eye on a car up the country but was afraid to travel due to the restrictions. Said I'd wait until April in the hope it would still be for sale and that they might relax the travel restrictions, but unfortunately the cars has since sold. Definitely no vat or duty if its a Northern Irish car from New or it was a GB car and imported to the north before the 1st of Jan. Still not 100% sure if GB cars registered in the North after Jan 1st are liable for vat or duty. Have heard conflicting stories.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    That’s my concern. I might give a local Garda station and ring and see if they could clear it up.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by richardoconnor1115 View Post
    Can I explain if I get stopped that the car is essential to get to work?
    If you've proof that you're an essential worker, then don't see the issue here - half the country is out & about and checkpoints are few & far between. Believe me, maning a covid checkpoint is the last thing the guards want to be at.....
    Current Daily: 2008 Lexus GS300 Sport F/L
    Current: E39 525i M Sport (Titan Silver)
    Previous: E34 520i SE (Orient Blue)