Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R53 Owners help please

BMWHaus Contributor

R53 Owners help please

So it looks like I'm able to put the M3 on a classic policy sooner than I thought. Which means after this summer, I will be putting it in storage for the winter months. Since it is currently my daily, it means i will need something to daily for the winter months.

I was thinking about getting a R53 Cooper S, as I've always quite fancied one and they seem to be still relatively cheap. My only concern is I'm not really looking for another project that's going to haemorrhage money. Now I don't mind having to do the basic maintenance stuff like oils, filters pads and I have had a look into the supercharger oil change. It doesn't seem too bad, just time consuming.

I would pretty much only be using it to commute to work which is only 10km each way and the odd trip into town. Ultimately I just want something cheap, fun and comfortable that won't break the bank maintenance wise.

I know there are a few R53 Owners on here, so was wondering if they might be able to give me some insight into owning one, what things to look out for and what they are like maintenance wise.

I should mention 4k is my absolute max for one. TIA

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    They’re a great car and quite reliable if looked after.

Things to note would be the 100k miles service although at this stage I’d say if the car has no record of the supercharger being serviced then factor that in. The expansion tanks on them have a tendency to go so check condition and overall coolant system.
    I would highly recommend a 17% reduction pulley so a bonus if that’s been installed.

Check around the rear lights for rust and water in the boot. The rear window washer have a tendency to get blocked so check this is operational. If fitted with xenon headlights make sure they’re working.

I’m sure there’s more. Obviously check the usual things as with any car inspection but the above are specific to the R53.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    Own a few R53's last few years from modded to oem and a fun weekend go kart for backroads. I drive one as a daily the past year that replaced my daily E39 530d.

Most R53's are hitting 100k mile marker where the maintenance kicks in. Supercharger service is more labour intensive than anything (kit about €80) and stripping the front off to get at it. You may as well do all the coolant system and pretty much every oil seal. Oil filter housing seal and o rings usually weep at this stage along with the usual rocker cover and crankshaft seal. Alternator case usually cracks with age and power steering pumps too but most will have been replaced under warranty from new.

I have yet to buy R53 with no oil leak (like toilet training a puppy) and the biggest problem with ownership...is the addiction of modding them.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    Cheers lads so they're are pretty much like any other 20 year old BMW rust bucket. Is rust pretty common on them? Not sure if I could handle another rust bucket

Am I right in saying the facelift ones are the ones to go for?

Anybody familiar with this one? Looks to have alot of work done.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...170hp/27467805

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanmcgrath40 View Post
    Cheers lads so they're are pretty much like any other 20 year old BMW rust bucket. Is rust pretty common on them? Not sure if I could handle another rust bucket

Am I right in saying the facelift ones are the ones to go for?

Anybody familiar with this one? Looks to have alot of work done.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...170hp/27467805

Pros and cons on pre vs facelift

Facelift suffer from rust issues on rear taillights for some reason. ( just under the lip starting to bubble)

Pre are 163 vs 170bhp and different gear ratios too.

LSD was standard on facelift with chilli pack.

Few different cosmetic features with clock on roof on pre and a 5 piece dash while 3 piece in a face lift. 2 piece steering wheel in pre and 3 in face.

Reverse light in bumper on pre while different tail lights in face.

BMWHaus Contributor
    My regret is getting stupid merc c180 for daily duties and not R53 because I thought I need 4d car for practicality.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip M5 View Post
    Pros and cons on pre vs facelift

Facelift suffer from rust issues on rear taillights for some reason. ( just under the lip starting to bubble)

Pre are 163 vs 170bhp and different gear ratios too.

LSD was standard on facelift with chilli pack.

Few different cosmetic features with clock on roof on pre and a 5 piece dash while 3 piece in a face lift. 2 piece steering wheel in pre and 3 in face.

Reverse light in bumper on pre while different tail lights in face.

Funny how the facelift suffers worse from rust. So not a huge difference really, was the chilli pack a common option on the Cooper S?

Probably wouldn't be looking to buy until the end of the summer unless a nice one pops up.

What do you think the market is like for these at the moment price wise?

BMWHaus Contributor
    Double post

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokyMo View Post
    My regret is getting stupid merc c180 for daily duties and not R53 because I thought I need 4d car for practicality.
    To be honest what I'd really like as a daily is a fast estate, like a C63/E55/E63/M5 but they are very thin on the ground at the moment. So was thinking a cheap R53 would do in the interm.

Cracking little cars! Friend has had one for a few years that his girlfriend used use as a daily before she got a 123d. He then took it over and made it a trackcar and Ring tool. They can have lots of small little issues like alternators packing up on us on two trips to the Ring, exhaust rots out on them but the JCW version is actually cheaper than the standard one. There's been no oil leaks on his own but then, he did rebuild the engine on it before the first trip to the Ring a few years ago.

Spec is 220-230bhp with alloy rad, silicone hoses, undersize pulley, airtec intercooler, decat, exhaust etc, Blistein coilovers, AP brakes, H&R arbs, all polybushed and facelift rear trailing arms, half cage and a few more bits and pieces. Could really benefit from an LSD so next plan I think is to fit a later close ratio box with lsd. It's helpless enough out of turn 3, Tarzan 2 and Devaneys in Mondello without the diff

Here's a clip with me taking it for a spin in '19.

https://youtu.be/qqUYmJPl4ng?t=25

As Philip says... the addiction to modding them is the biggest issue with owning them
    Last edited by DaveMsport; 26-03-21 at 21:48.