Thread: EV Chargers - Advise needed

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

EV Chargers - Advise needed

I'm in the middle of ripping our house apart and extending and looking to install an EV charging point.

I know there was a thread on here before but I can't for the life of me find it.

I'm looking for recommendations for a charger that can be scheduled and controlled via a smartphone app and also has the highest possible output for residential use.

All comments/experience appreciated

BMWHaus Guru
    If you look under the Daily drivers for my thread about the latest additions there are a couple of recommendations that folks were kind enough to share. It should be in the last few pages, posts back around Dec/Jan last.

Cant post the link as I’m writing this on a phone browser.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by dergside View Post
    If you look under the Daily drivers for my thread about the latest additions there are a couple of recommendations that folks were kind enough to share. It should be in the last few pages, posts back around Dec/Jan last.

Cant post the link as I’m writing this on a phone browser.
    Thanks, That's exactly the post I was looking for.

BMWHaus Guru
    I bought a QUBEV charger from EVOneStop in the uk.

I bought it as it’s just a small back box that doesn’t stand out.

FWIW the electrician who fitted it said the internals were of good quality. It’s been doing a great job of charging the X5 since.

I use a Zappi wall charger and find it very good. I would highly recommend that whatever you buy you get a tethered version. Cuts out the faff of getting the cable from the boot and connecting at both ends. Most of them have a cable management system of some sort to make it look tidy when not in use.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    I bought a QUBEV charger from EVOneStop in the uk.

I bought it as it’s just a small back box that doesn’t stand out.

FWIW the electrician who fitted it said the internals were of good quality. It’s been doing a great job of charging the X5 since.
    Thanks John. I had a look at that one alright and it looks very neat and compact.
    Could be good to get one of these for the garage.
    Last edited by ecooney; 02-06-21 at 10:38.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    I use a Zappi wall charger and find it very good. I would highly recommend that whatever you buy you get a tethered version. Cuts out the faff of getting the cable from the boot and connecting at both ends. Most of them have a cable management system of some sort to make it look tidy when not in use.
    I'm nearly convinced on the Zappi and wanted to go tethered as well but it limits the type of cars that can connect (if someone has a different cable).
    Have to have a think about that one.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ecooney View Post
    I'm nearly convinced on the Zappi and wanted to go tethered as well but it limits the type of cars that can connect (if someone has a different cable).
    Have to have a think about that one.
    I had the same thoughts about tethered or not. In the end I went untethered and bought a 10m charging cable so when the parking is less than perfect or the car is facing the other way you can still plug it in

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    I had the same thoughts about tethered or not. In the end I went untethered and bought a 10m charging cable so when the parking is less than perfect or the car is facing the other way you can still plug it in
    So in the end I've now put two car charging points at the house and ordered the QUBEV for a point at the new garage (separate thread on that one when it's complete) and I will probably get a Zappi for the house.
    Although given the price point of the QUBEV I may just buy another one of those. I have a full electric car on order but delayed at the minute due to component shortages.