Thread: Worth getting AUC Warranty?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Worth getting AUC Warranty?

Hi,

I'd be grateful for any thoughts/experiences from more knowledgeable folk on this.

I bought my F82 from an independent dealer, but because it has a full BMW service history and the factory warranty expired less than 6 months ago (before I bought the car), I've been told it's still possible for me to buy an AUC warranty for it. However I apparently only have until mid-July to do this, because after that it will be >6 months since the factory warranty expired.

I've been quoted the following:

Comprehensive: €1,895

Named Component: €1,542

DriveLine: €1,036

I don't know much about these warranties or the differences between them and I obviously have to read the detail and do my own research. But does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with these warranties (whether on an F8X or otherwise) and whether they are worth the money? How much more protection do you really get from the more expensive warranties than the cheaper one? I know these cars aren't particularly prone to issues like some other M cars. But at the same time, I don't like the idea that I could lose out on ever getting an AUC warranty again if I don't get one now...

Thanks in advance!

Yes ! What is the excess ? The excess level can make a big difference in the price. The highest level of excess is 335 per claim - which takes a big chunk off the price obviously. Mileage also can impact the price.

I claimed about 10k in repairs on a X5 in one year...

We pay about 400 a year for my wife's f30 420d for comprehensive.. I wouldn't bother with the lower levels.

Also it includes items such as suspension up to 200k miles.

Have a look on here as I think I posted on another thread here the work I had done under warranty. In saying that we haven't claimed on my wife's car - but it did flag up 2 leaking rear shocks which will be replaced under warranty

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by alan996; 21-06-21 at 18:16.

BMWHaus Guru
    Thanks. I think those quotes above are with the highest excess, but I’ll double check that with them.

The full detail of the cover is here: https://www.bmw-warranty.ie/Start

Comprehensive is the same as the BMW used car one, covers nearly everything. I had it for a year on a E60 M5 a good while back and claimed a few bits on it. I didn't bother doing it for my old M3 or the M2 when the manufactures warranty ran out last year.

I guess it depends on your attitude to risk, €1,800 per year would cover a decent bit of work unless something big goes pop. I also think you have to continuously get the car serviced with BMW for it to apply.

The M2 was €1100 with 0 excess, so 1,800 seems steep.

BMWHaus Guru
    Thanks. It does seem high compared to what you paid for the M2, I wonder why that is. Mine has relatively higher mileage at around 100,000km, so maybe that’s a factor. As I understand it you can’t get either of the higher priced warranties above 160,000km anyway, so maybe that’s something I’d need to consider also.