Thread: Driving on the continent…

BMWHaus Contributor

Driving on the continent…

So I’m taking the M3 on a nice big European road trip next month. Going to be in France Luxembourg Germany the Netherlands and Belgium. I’ve read all the advisories about what I need to have in the car et cetera but the big question that I have is do I really need to put the stickers on my lights to prevent them from dazzling drivers on the other side of the road? I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything similar on European cars visiting Ireland and I’m wondering if anyone has firsthand experience of doing this or more importantly not doing this and any potential issues they encountered?
    Current: '03 E46 Individual M3 Cabrio, ‘00 E38 740i Sport.

Previous: '05 E46 Individual 320Cd Coupe, '01 E38 Individual 728i, '98 E36/7 Z3 1.9, '98 E36 323i Sport Coupe, '97 E36 318i Cabrio, '05 E53 X5 3.0i Sport, 2010 E89 Z4 S-Drive 23i and '01 E36/7 Z3 2.2i Sport

BMWHaus Contributor
    Isn't there a tab you can flick over to switch from LHD to rhd on the lights themselves
    I think it's in the owners manual
    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by IRISHD M3 View Post
    So I’m taking the M3 on a nice big European road trip next month. Going to be in France Luxembourg Germany the Netherlands and Belgium. I’ve read all the advisories about what I need to have in the car et cetera but the big question that I have is do I really need to put the stickers on my lights to prevent them from dazzling drivers on the other side of the road? I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything similar on European cars visiting Ireland and I’m wondering if anyone has firsthand experience of doing this or more importantly not doing this and any potential issues they encountered?
    When I drove to the ring via England, eurotunnel to France, Belgium, Germany, I actually forgot to put them on... There were in the glove box. I think there are only couple of euros so just toss them in a boot. We never got stopped or anything so could be just lucky escape.

BMWHaus Guru
    Light alignment would be the least of my worries travelling around Europe next month.......
    Current Daily: 2008 Lexus GS300 Sport F/L
    Current: E39 525i M Sport (Titan Silver)
    Previous: E34 520i SE (Orient Blue)

BMWHaus Contributor
    Take the light cover off and there's a metal tab you flick up or down that blocks the light depending on which side of the road you are driving on.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    Are you sure you have everything in the car that you need?
    You need disposable breathalysers for France and/or Belgium
    High vis, triangle etc along with spare bulbs all by law
    We got pulled on one of the trips and actually got serious grief for German style plates
    They also checked for all the above
    You’ll get away without the headlight stickers I’ve never used them once on 6 big trips across

What routes to Europe are you taking?
    Tolls in France are a pain in the bollocks