Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E39 M5 as an investment

I had an e39 m5 and currently own an e60 m5.
    I don’t find the e60 troublesome. I don’t see anything that I could replace it with at the moment.
    I have seen these increase in value in last couple of years.

BMWHaus Contributor
    I dont see the e60 M5 being a collectors item for a long time....like 20 more years. I owned one and I loved it, the longest I ever held onto a car, and oddly I could currently rebuy the car I owned. Still that was a flawed car (generally not my specific one). The gearing was all wrong, atomically fast but only after 60mph. With no autobahns here, it was hard to get the fun out of it. The fuel consumption was very irritating combined with a small tank. And there were lets be honest some reliability issues that cannot be overlooked.

I went and tested the e39 M5. Very nice car and it it goes public sale I will post a link. This car seemed mint, had detailer stickers on the sills, all bodywork perfect. All documentation and service history. Low milage. And even at that I could find 3-4k needing doing, discs and pad, pixels on the dash and center console LCD displays, service 2 etc. Great car if your going to drive it but as a thing to sit and look at, and sell in a few years, I am not seeing the numbers. I think I will return to looking for that manual e46 m3.

Funny the e39 m5 is fast, but it is not very accelerative, its relentless and gets very fast but takes a while to do it. Nice having a manual with a big engine all the same, I can see the appeal. Ride is soft by modern BMW standards which is nice. Cars have come a long way in 19 years, I think its only when you drive a new car you realize. I am going to pass on it. Thanks for all the well judged advice peoples....appreciate it.
    All me beemers are gone.....for now.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Funny the e39 m5 is fast, but it is not very accelerative, its relentless and gets very fast but takes a while to do it. Nice having a manual with a big engine all the same, I can see the appeal. Ride is soft by modern BMW standards which is nice. Cars have come a long way in 19 years, I think its only when you drive a new car you realize. I am going to pass on it. Thanks for all the well judged advice peoples....appreciate it.
    You're spoiled with your turbos

You'll probably find it's also sitting on original shocks and springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BMWHaus Contributor
    I only got a 15 minutes drive, but I was on my own so I could give it the beans. Quite different from my beemers of old. Closest would be the 645ci I suppose, but it rev'ed a lot better and the manual is better than the auto.
    All me beemers are gone.....for now.

Ah I’ve had two e46 m3s one smg one manual. Much rather the smg but manual is more desirable.
    I think we missed the boat with the CS though as an appreciating car. Think she’s da one.