Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petrol (alternatives to V-Power)

BMWHaus Guru

Petrol (alternatives to V-Power)

Hi,

Apologies if it's been covered before but I couldn't find a recent topic on it.

Are there any high-spec petrol options available in Ireland as alternatives to Shell V-Power, seeing as we can't get that here?

Thanks!

BMWHaus Contributor
    Add half a bottle of this stuff to your tank. It works.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    I dont think you can get it anywhere from a pump anymore, circle K did a 97 for a while but has since stopped.

As hooch said octane booster seems to be the only way.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alanmcgrath40 View Post
    I dont think you can get it anywhere from a pump anymore, circle K did a 97 for a while but has since stopped.

As hooch said octane booster seems to be the only way.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I'm with Hooch, bit of a PIA but does make a difference, about €20 per bottle.

BMWHaus Contributor
    What benefit do you get from the higher octane fuel? I always ignore the current batch of premium petrols on offer as they all have the same octane rating as the standard fuel but if I thought adding octane booster to the tank would be worth it I would.
    Current: '03 E46 Individual M3 Cabrio, ‘00 E38 740i Sport.

Previous: '05 E46 Individual 320Cd Coupe, '01 E38 Individual 728i, '98 E36/7 Z3 1.9, '98 E36 323i Sport Coupe, '97 E36 318i Cabrio, '05 E53 X5 3.0i Sport, 2010 E89 Z4 S-Drive 23i and '01 E36/7 Z3 2.2i Sport

I'm using NF octane booster in my mk7 gti, half a bottle to a tank (150ml in 50L). Added when the car was being remapped as fuel was limiting the power, around 20bhp increase. Full bottle would increase it again.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Octane booster does make a difference in fairness. Our mk5 GTI and the M3 run noticeably better and pull abit harder.

Any hint of knocking while pulling out of junctions etc that happens the odd time are completely gone too in the M3 when using it.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMsport View Post
    Octane booster does make a difference in fairness. Our mk5 GTI and the M3 run noticeably better and pull abit harder.

Any hint of knocking while pulling out of junctions etc that happens the odd time are completely gone too in the M3 when using it.
    I just got a few bottles of NF Race this evening. I was going to use it in my e46 M3 as I think it's made to run on 98 Ron petrol.

The bottle says 'Not recommended for direct injection engines on a daily basis.' Any idea why this might be? Do you use it all the time in the M3? I was going to put half a bottle per tank as hooch suggested.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

If used on cars all the time, it fouls up the plugs so they need replacing more regularly but that's about it.

Early octane boosters used destroy cats alright but the NF stuff if perfect using a half bottle.

I try to use it as much as I can, sometimes don't bother if I know I'm going just for a handy spin somewhere.

BMWHaus Contributor
    I used a bottle of elf in my e46 before. Throttle response was definitely better and less pinking at lower revs/during town driving.