Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Declaration of non use - online

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Declaration of non use - online

Oh you can cancel it anytime ofcourse but my issue is that you will pay for the time you weren't using the car if it's less than 3 months, which isn't very fair!

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by E36
    Oh you can cancel it anytime ofcourse but my issue is that you will pay for the time you weren't using the car if it's less than 3 months, which isn't very fair!
    If you tax it mid month you'll still pay for the days in the month where it was off-road, but I've seen nothing to say you'd have to pay for the prior month as well? (if you put it back on the road in month two of an SORD for example).

BMWHaus Guru

I confirmed it many times with the garda station, and then motor tax office by phone, and then at the motor tax office when i was dropping the form.

To be honest I couldn't be bothered finding it as google searches keep returning chats on forums and so on. But feel free to confirm it with your local office, it's just a friendly warning for anybody who thinks they will be saving a month or two of tax. If you definitely need your car on the 3rd month, when you go to tax it you will be asked to pay for the previous 2 even if it's been off the road.

If I find something I'll post it up

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by E36
    I confirmed it many times with the garda station, and then motor tax office by phone, and then at the motor tax office when i was dropping the form.

To be honest I couldn't be bothered finding it as google searches keep returning chats on forums and so on. But feel free to confirm it with your local office, it's just a friendly warning for anybody who thinks they will be saving a month or two of tax. If you definitely need your car on the 3rd month, when you go to tax it you will be asked to pay for the previous 2 even if it's been off the road.

If I find something I'll post it up
    Yep, this is my understandig of how it works now too, and I'm sure I've seen as much in official documentation. It's one of my biggest issues with the new system, as it does away with the option of taxing for say Apr-Jun, and then again Aug-Oct, with a month of storage inbetween

Just to add to this
    I declared my car off the road in september for 3 months(oct nov dec) because we were going to use the girlfriends car
    but that broke down over the weekend so i went in to tax mine today and i did'nt have to pay any back tax
    or arrears i just paid for the 3months(nov dec jan)

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Damien
    Just to add to this
    I declared my car off the road in september for 3 months(oct nov dec) because we were going to use the girlfriends car
    but that broke down over the weekend so i went in to tax mine today and i did'nt have to pay any back tax
    Thanks for the update Damien, good to know it can be done

Seems this system is similar to the other, you can take chances of driving it SORN'ed and tax when your ready :huh:

Not that I be doing that but im sure people still are.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien
    Just to add to this
    Did exactly the same today with the 900 - definitely no back tax to be paid under the new system.

BMWHaus Guru

Hahaha heard on the news today they are closing 5 tax offices for a full week to deal with the backlog....How embarrassing!! What a botched job....

BMWHaus Guru

Good stuff lads, nice to hear that there's a little bit of flexibility in it

Still though, it's a system that has no benefit whatsoever other than keeping a few paper-pushers pushing paper

Quote Originally Posted by ciars
    Looks like they're building out an online feature for the declaration of non use.

https://www.motarviews.ie/ORD/login
    Where do you get the pin from?