Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: German plates and NCT

BMWHaus Guru

German plates and NCT

Just a heads up lads

Apparently the rules have changed. :sad: well that's what I was told by the guy

The mini just failed its NCT because I had a German plate on the rear. :crying:
    And only because if the font because everything else was legal. County, Irl etc

I had taken the German square plate off the front and replaced it with a Standard "legal plate" so only the rear was German.

The yellow mini, the e30 and the e39 3 times all passed on German plates.

It's only a visual and Simple to change I know but just thought I'd mention it as I wasn't expecting it and if I knew I would have changed both.

Re: German plates and NCT

Its always been like that , the font is the problem and it really depends on the tester I gave up on german plates a long time ago the ballache really isn't worth it for such a small difference

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: German plates and NCT

Wonder if you had the same plates on the front would it have failed at all?

Might have only failed it cos there was two different style fonts and used the German style as an excuse

BMWHaus Guru

Never thought of that, I have the square German plate back on the front and the normal plate back on the rear now lol.

There's nothing in the NCT manual about font.. Only sizes and spacing!

Reason for failure:
    1 One or both plates missing, insecure or not clearly visible.
    2 Numbers or letters missing or illegible or incorrect size (see page 9).
    3 Numbers, letter or background of incorrect colour (see notes above).
    4 Marks, other than those prescribed, on the plate within the boundary shown in the diagram.

Taken from here, http://nct.ie/NCT%20Manual%20Revise%20May%202012.pdf

It may not be in the nct manual but its the law look it up

BMWHaus Guru

Any idea why it's illegal ?

Here's the law:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1999/en/si/0432.html

I can't really see anything about Font only size/spacing?

There pretty strict on measurements, its trivial at best I know but they are covered by telling you there illegal Im pretty sure it was covered before you can find the full details here

99% of the time if you had no cutout on the zero and all the correct markings they wouldn't even notice id say

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1992/en/si/0318.html

Its down to font size of the digits and the hypens ,again it's all bull and I don't agree with any of it but personally I just couldn't be arsed with them anymore

14. The identification mark shall appear in black characters and each letter or figure shall have a height of 70 millimetres and a stroke width of 10 millimetres. The total width of the space taken by each letter or figure (other than the letter "I" or the number "1") shall be 36 millimetres. The distances between adjoining letters and adjoining figures shall be uniform and shall be not less than 8 millimetres.

(*d*) the index mark shall be separated from adjoining figures on each side of the index mark by a hyphen with a stroke width of 10 millimetres which shall extend horizontally for a distance of 22 millimetres; the distances between each hyphen and the nearest part of any adjoining letter or figure shall be uniform and shall be not less than 10 millimetres

(Standard irish font is 70mm the german plate font is 77mm according to eireplates, who also say they sell german plates for show use only)