Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any one know this e46

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Any one know this e46

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Quote Originally Posted by HealyC
    I own both type of 4cyl E46 petrol engine and the M43 8v is far superior. The simple answer to my reasoning is less s*** to go wrong.

But if budget allowed it I'd be going for a clean 320d sport, best of them all!
    He was comparing m44 to m43tu not n42

The n42 is a bag of sh***
    I've owned an M42 car, M44, the compact has an N42 and the brothers 318ci has the
    M43.

Of them all I seem to remember the M44 being the better, but no real big difference
    between them as far as I can tell.

Is it because of the timing chain issues the N42 is crap?

Re: RE: Any one know this e46

Quote Originally Posted by Don B
    Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Quote Originally Posted by HealyC
    I own both type of 4cyl E46 petrol engine and the M43 8v is far superior. The simple answer to my reasoning is less s*** to go wrong.

But if budget allowed it I'd be going for a clean 320d sport, best of them all!
    He was comparing m44 to m43tu not n42

The n42 is a bag of sh***
    I've owned an M42 car, M44, the compact has an N42 and the brothers 318ci has the
    M43.

Of them all I seem to remember the M44 being the better, but no real big difference
    between them as far as I can tell.

Is it because of the timing chain issues the N42 is crap?
    Just too many sensors, seals and fiddly plastic bits that fail then you have noisy lifters valvetronic etc, its not a nice engine to work on to be honest it's no worse then any of the later 4 pots that came after it imo they haven't got any better at making them they all have issues

Theres probably more documented n42 engine problems online then any other engine wheter this is down to it being sold in such high numbers or whether its just the most troublesome who knows

I was aware of all this before we purchased ours but she wanted that car in particular so we just bought it after timing chain change all coil packs and nearly all seals changed iv relaxed a bit around it but im always thinking what might be next

BMWHaus Guru

Any one know this e46

I'd say it's more to do with the volume of cars with that engine alright. The arrival of the N46 at the end of the run E46s was no better, gave the exact same trouble.

The 2.0l should be a flyer of an engine as it's twin vanos but they never live up to it, 140bhp feels more like 100bhp

Still reckon the M42,3,4 are the best engines bmw mass produced along with the diesel M4/57

BMWHaus Contributor

Any one know this e46

Quote Originally Posted by Ford 2
    Nice yoke, how's the axle and box bullet proff lump and if the correct box there an amazing little car
    Ahh the axle seems fine and out of all them that I've had I've never had an issue!! The box is grand for now bit Their cheap to get redone when they go wrong so it's not 2bad!!! Was down in mondello yesterday for a trackday in my mates skyline so took it out for a few laps!! It needs decent tyres smaller tyres cos their rubbing and shouldn't as I've had 17s on them with no issues so the 16 deffo shouldn't rub but other than that it went grand no issues other than leaking rocker cover which happens them all!!!