Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know this car?

Anyone know this car?

My girlfriend wants to buy this car an is going to look this evening. Can't get her tempted into an E36 so can anyone tell me anything about it or any regular issues to look for in a compact. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Anyone know this car?

@[Alex] is your man for compact advice

Anyone know this car?

Is the 318ti an m44?

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: RE: Anyone know this car?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    @[Alex] is your man for compact advice
    If Alex doesn't see this in time, @[DonB] also has a compact also and might be able to shed some light. @[HealyC] has a 316 saloon so might know something about any engine issues

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

No specific issues known to compacts just treat it as any other e46 316/318
    Main weakness is timing chain budget it into your purchase price and you should be fine

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    No specific issues known to compacts just treat it as any other e46 316/318
    Main weakness is timing chain budget it into your purchase price and you should be fine
    As Gar said, apart from the regular E46 issues budget in for a new timing chain if it hasn't been done. Also if it's pi$$ing oil from everywhere then it will need a load of seals and gaskets but the reason they are shot is that the breather valve is knackered.

Anyone know this car?

Was a deal breaker at N42. Still lost on what to recommend for her. Buying a 320d at €1500 is only buying trouble? Or am I wrong?

Re: Anyone know this car?

Best bang for buck at that money would be a 318is theres nothing better more reliable or cheaper to run in that price bracket imo its a great all round car that looks damn good too win win

Compacts are based on e46 therefore all mechanical issues that arise are exactly the same as any other e46 based on same engine electrics etc. Engine wise it may not be the best option out there really but compact is definitely reliable in terms of suspension and so on I really can not point any particular issues that compacts may have and e46 saloon,coupe, cabriolet,touring wont.

Great handling. Best combination for a compact would be 320td or 325ti but people who look after 318ti's have no problems with them. Dont presume that compact is light just because it may look smaller it is a pretty heavy car therefore to a achieve a good balance BHP & Torque is needed. In relation to N42 at the the end of the day it is the owner who is to fault for timing chain failures etc. what do people expect when they service their cars with cheapest oil sometimes not even changing the filter etc, assuming that service intervals are 20K etc.

Availability of used and new parts for them is bigger then people may presume.

Many people who have owned E46 Compact and 1 Series say that build quality and feel is noticeably better in a Compact.

Compacts are way underrated. For some inspiration see this link https://www.facebook.com/pages/BMW-Compact-Owners-Club/636405989732105?ref=tn_tnmn

In relation to the add for the compact your viewing it seems very cheap but then again only 3 owners on it etc. Would look into the service history of it.Rear discs and pads do not cost 300 euro unless their OEM or EBC etc. Another thing it says it has full black interior and it does not only Sport versions ''M pack'' had them. Nor does it have all ''sports'' extras as he claims in actual fact it barely has any extras in it. He mentioned front electric windows, mirrors and central locking they all come as standard on any of the compacts.

If she is after compact it would be worth looking at this http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-3-series-316ti-m-sport-compact-3dr/6131977 it has been up for sale for at least 2 months maybe even more therefore I would say the price would be highly negotiable.

That compacts only 900 on adverts now if your still interested in it