Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Penalty Points

RE: Penalty Points

Got my first 2 in February for doing 92kph in a 80 zone i think cant remember now,it was my own fault because the gatso van was facing me on the opposite side of the road and i went past not knowing that they also take a picture of the rear plate!

BMWHaus Contributor

How do you check if you have any??

Had two points years ago when they first came out, got a letter to say they were removed and got another two that day, was sick. Pretty sure there gone now. I think

Re: RE: Penalty Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ketron
    Quote Originally Posted by John_D
    What's the deal with informing insurance companies?
    I thought 4 or less you didn't have to tell them. However when getting a quote it asks you how many if you say 0 you are technically lying to them . They don't give the option to not disclose the information.
    Better off telling them the second you get them so they have no wiggle room to get out of a claim. Two wont effect your premium, four or more will.
    I've had four and made no difference to quote. Thought it was six and up

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

BMWHaus Contributor

I passed a camera an at 120 ish in 100 zone about 6 months ago. Car in my name etc... Still no points in?

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dubinkildare
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketron
    Quote Originally Posted by John_D
    What's the deal with informing insurance companies?
    I thought 4 or less you didn't have to tell them. However when getting a quote it asks you how many if you say 0 you are technically lying to them . They don't give the option to not disclose the information.
    Better off telling them the second you get them so they have no wiggle room to get out of a claim. Two wont effect your premium, four or more will.
    I've had four and made no difference to quote. Thought it was six and up

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Deffo threw up my insurance by nearly 100 a year, for three years, could have been due to my age at the time (23).

Quote Originally Posted by michael320
    I passed a camera an at 120 ish in 100 zone about 6 months ago. Car in my name etc... Still no points in?
    You actually have to be quite close for them to get a correct reading, so depends on when you spotted them. Also depends on what side of the road you were on in relation to the van, check out the cosine effect. It gives about 3-5% reading deficit in the driver favour.

So if you were doing 120 (on your clock, which will over read by a few percent, so 117 for example), spotted them, hit the brakes and slowed to 110 with the cosine effect you you could read at 105, then van also has to allow a couple of percent as well.

I was doing 135 on my speedo when I got caught a couple of weeks ago in a 100 zone, ticket came in for 111kmph, in hindsight if I had realised you have to be so close I would have hit the brakes harder and possibly have gotten away with it. Just started reading up about how they work afterwards.

BMWHaus Contributor

He was on my side with the camera facing me. I didn't even spot him to be honest so no braking.

Quote Originally Posted by michael320
    I got a fine in the door 3 years ago from a garda operated gatso van and i never paid it by the due date i actually went to the post office to pay it but i missed it by a few days,i rang the number on it and a garda told me id have to go to court in a few months time,3 years on and i still havent heard anything back...