Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High priced or Decent Deal

High priced or Decent Deal

Gents, urge is at me again to change car, more for the fact my 07 520d has just hit 210,000 Klms and with me putting at least 60klms plus per year it will be worth as much as a can of coke in no time.

I went looking at this today
    http://www.murphygunn.com/used-cars/BMW/5-Series/520d-M/46113976254377800/

She's a year younger and less than half the mileage, decent spec bar no nav, but they are looking for €20,950 for it, or my car + 11.5k at the moment without really pushing hard on price yet.

Am I fookin mad? I love the 5 series, want an auto, need lower mileage and the dealer warranty would be hugely important to me with the mileage I do, I've spent a far whack on my 520, purely maintenance mind you.

Manual is defo out for me, and I want something with relatively low mileage, has to be diesel & cant justify 3.0 road tax even if it saves in the long run! Opinions welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: High priced or Decent Deal

Two year warranty is piece of mind but I wouldn't be able to handle forking out 20k for it. Worse than that 11.5k to move up one year?

I dont really see how benefit comes near to matching up to yours and 11.5k

You're talking about yours not going to be worth a lot soon but i'd say youll lose a lot more in depreciation on the new car after paying that price.

Re: High priced or Decent Deal

What about something like this for the mega miles and a nice old weekend toy for the summer e36 m3 vert or something

BMWHaus Guru

you be mad to move "up" IMO

You do high miles so why not just drive your current motor into the ground?? If you have spent money on pre-maintenance then chances are its a good car, baring in mind it has 1.5 times the average miles its hardly massive miles

Iv a car just hit 250k and is 4 years old, friend has same with a 60k engine and has spent more on maintenance/issues then I have :wink:

High priced or Decent Deal

I'm more thinking along the lines of cost coming along, any gearbox issues, couple of grand, any major engine issues, couple of grand, at that stage I'm in new car money. I've spent close to 2.5 K in the last year on maintenance , mostly once offs. I love the car, just not the mileage. Would take another 1-2 k to get the car where I want it , fixing small Laquer peel, few dents & a few other bits, just don't want to waste cash that way, but see your point about only moving up a year

BMWHaus Contributor

Sorry have to agree with the lads, Anything over 10K to move up only 1 year just sounds like complete nonsense, I really dont get it ? Where is the real benefit here especially to your pocket

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dossie01
    I'm more thinking along the lines of cost coming along, any gearbox issues, couple of grand, any major engine issues, couple of grand, at that stage I'm in new car money. I've spent close to 2.5 K in the last year on maintenance , mostly once offs. I love the car, just not the mileage. Would take another 1-2 k to get the car where I want it , fixing small Laquer peel, few dents & a few other bits, just don't want to waste cash that way, but see your point about only moving up a year

These are potential problem which could potentially cost you money (apart from cosmetics as you said) but your going to spend €10000 to avoid these problems that could still happen with the newer car. Yes they be covered under warranty but its basically a €10000 warranty....

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispyfish
    Quote Originally Posted by Dossie01

These are potential problem which could potentially cost you money (apart from cosmetics as you said) but your going to spend €10000 to avoid these problems that could still happen with the newer car. Yes they be covered under warranty but its basically a €10000 warranty....
    A massive +1!

Does not make the slightest bit of sense to me! I would make a hell of a lot more sense to keep your current car and keep the 11.5k in the bank.

Or do what gar suggested with the passat. 10k+ to go up one year is mad, 200k km on those engines is nothing, and especially if you are doing motorway miles, puts very little stress on the car compared to doing short trips on crappy country roads.

BMWHaus Contributor

I'd have to agree with everyone above - you'd be cracked to follow through on that deal with M&G :surprised:

If the car in question was very high specced it might make sense but that doesn't appear to be the case :wink: