Thread: Cracked bumper

BMWHaus Contributor

Cracked bumper

Have a e36 m3 bumper and it got cracked today.the crack is just under the indicator at the top o the bumper.shats best way to permanently repair.was thinking of glueing plstic at tje back and basically glueing it .then pass over with filler and job done..advice please.its not a big one just at the top

RE: Cracked bumper

Plastic weld and it'll be like new, I had it done on a Ford Ka bumper.

Filler will eventually crack again.

BMWHaus Guru

Got plasti weld done before and it went again

Best time of year to do it, plastic be a decent temperature to work on etc

BMWHaus Guru

Carcraft showed me a nifty kit for these repairs - its was like a staple gun almost. Each end of the 'staple' connects to the gun, which is more like a soldering iron - it melts into the bumper and gives it support once the plastic solidifies again. Should be repairable anyway.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Cracked bumper

Plastic stitching will be the way to go James. Drill a small hole where the crack ends to stop it going further then get out the solder gun. If you want send me an email to remind me and I shall send you some pictures and diy on how I do it which to date has not let me down.

Super4 BMW
    www.facebook.com/super4bmw
    www.instagram.com/super4bmw
    www.super4.ie - Early 2014

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: RE: Cracked bumper

Quote Originally Posted by Super4
    Plastic stitching will be the way to go James. Drill a small hole where the crack ends to stop it going further then get out the solder gun. If you want send me an email to remind me and I shall send you some pictures and diy on how I do it which to date has not let me down.

Super4 BMW
    www.facebook.com/super4bmw
    www.instagram.com/super4bmw
    www.super4.ie - Early 2014
    Thanks, theres a boat yard that does it nearby, was fine until my kid sat on it this morning , took it out of the shed as had it sold to a member here, having a rough week, he is a understanding fella anyway,,,will see how it goes but dont want to sell it if it would break again...starting stripping a few bits next week so should have a few adds up here, if the car dosent fall on top of me,,,LOL

BMWHaus Contributor

I've used an old soldering iron and paper clips. You use the iron to push the clips into the plastic it's solid after as the steel reinforces the mend.
    Use an old iron as it will not be able to solder after being used on plastic.