Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clamping Dispute

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Clamping Dispute

Quote Originally Posted by Cisk
    Wow they actually moved it there and then clamped it, where they left it is no parking before 7. I drive home most days that way and it drives me mad when idiots park there during rush hour forcing you to move into the right lane which is always backed up. I'm forever pointing out the sign.

I guess they put the car there so it's eligible to be clamped but very bizarre altogether.

You're dead right, only picture I have is off google maps:

You'd need to be eagle eyed but the ending time for no parking is 19:00. I just presumed it was an old loading bay are from years ago and they never removed the markings.

They moved me over a technicality and parked me blatantly illegally, that makes sense!

What my course of best action on this? I've a good feeling the clamping fee is gone into the ether but I'd want to lodge a solid complain with the council. Two wrongs and all that.

To be fair my experiance with them (love complaining haha!) has been good.

BMWHaus Contributor

Bloody to right. I would of cut it off with a consaw.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by E46Padge
    Ah thats where they get you, damage to property. Remove wheel and hub etc and ring them when your done Takes time but you stay within the law Only to private clampers though, dont know where you stand with civil ones.

The fun begins:

http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content//Documents/Application_Forms/Roads_and_Traffic/Clamping_Towaway_Appeal_achomhairc_chlampu_tharlu. pdf

BMWHaus Guru

Clamping Dispute

The rules of parking are bye laws I believe. As above if stick in an appeal

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic/parking-dublin

BMWHaus Guru

Re: Clamping Dispute

Car needs more low and then no clamping

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    Car needs more low and then no clamping
    Was thinking about that, they're not the most gentle people when it comes to cars, more damage or towing me thinks!

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Ketron
    Quote Originally Posted by E46Padge
    Ah thats where they get you, damage to property. Remove wheel and hub etc and ring them when your done Takes time but you stay within the law Only to private clampers though, dont know where you stand with civil ones.

The fun begins:

http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content//Documents/Application_Forms/Roads_and_Traffic/Clamping_Towaway_Appeal_achomhairc_chlampu_tharlu. pdf
    See I wouldn't go at a council at all. But if it was a private clamp I would take a link off the chain. I have removed a private clamp before and brought it in to the hotel reception. Never heard anything back.

BMWHaus Contributor

hey we have the exact same problem in cork city especially where i live in douglas the clampers go wild (they even clamped a wedding car but thats another debate),
    before you get clamped they HAVE to photo the car before clamping and are not allowed damage a car (in theory ),
    my friends and i often take off clamps when we get clamped (got clamped for parking in cinema as no space in topaz )
    we watch the guy put them on and wait till he leaves and then whip off the ball joint.
    we had one occasion where the car in question (pugeot 106 gti) was too low so he just didn't bother , (could be school yard crap but a few off my friends said the clamper can call the guards if car is too low and say its unsafe etc , but I'm not 100 percent on this),
    council is a different kettle of fish as they have rights and laws to back them up.
    and also on a slightly unrelated topic the people who are clampers can also issue you a ticket for having your tax out of date (happened a friend as he was nearly a year out of tax)
    also i find it funny the clamper near me has never put it through a wishbone

BMWHaus Guru

Its a very grey area of the law, especially if you are clamped on private grounds by a private clamper, (I actually believe you're within your right to remove it, could be wrong though). My view is unless its a council the law is on your side if you're smart about.

BMWHaus Contributor

totally in your right to take it off from private clamper and private land, i had the same trouble at the rally of the lakes two years ago, at the time id didn't know how to take it off and my friend did it. the guards were called out to the b&b i was clamped at saw the clamp on the floor and they didn't say a thing took my name and then searched the car .
    iirc the land owner wanted 160 euro