Thread: E46 dead key

BMWHaus Contributor

E46 dead key

So what's the Craic here.. Went into bmw Waterford today asking if I can get a battery changed in my key as it's not working. They said it can't be and have to replace the key at 190e, that what people do in these situations on these ? it was all good until today when as usual I was manually opening the car, I got the dreaded spin 90 deg left and right freely so clearly something has broke in the tumbler, thank god the car was open at the time but now I've no way to lock the car, the boot doesn't and the passenger side has no lock, yes I can fix the tumbler but I've read there not designed to be opened and closed long term like this, just another poor badly designed e46 part but I'm keeping my cool for now

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E46 dead key

BMW and muppets, they told me the key had no battery so I took the key apart and showed them, No response

Try to reprogram the key.

Mine used to always lose the program on the e39

Sit in the car with all the doors shut and windows up with your key fobs (all your fobs need to be done at the same time)
    With one of your keys turn the ignition on then off and remove the key
    Press and hold the unlock botton and then press the lock button 3 times.
    Release all buttons and the locks will bounce up and down.
    Repeat this with the other key/keys (press and hold unlock and press lock 3 times, locks will bounce)

This

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC68Z7CP2XM

Or cut the key open and replace the battery.

BMWHaus Contributor

Crowd in uk can replace the battery for a reasonable price. I'll get details if needed

BMWHaus Contributor

I cut it open lads, battery was spot welded in, so I re soldered in a new 2016 batt and no good.. Been onto Darren so hopefully his idea will work

BMWHaus Guru

Check out here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR3.T RC2.A0.H0.Xbmw+diamond+key&_nkw=bmw+diamond+key&_s acat=0

It is possible to repair the keys as I repaired both of the e39 keys but you need a good soldering Iron and very steady hand to swap the transponder chips.

Easiest option is to do what I said.