Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel pump woes

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Fuel pump woes

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer
    Quote Originally Posted by satumashirt611
    I bought a e39 few weeks ago that had same symptoms.the guy couldn't start it.he tried everything.i bought it for a parts car but when I bought it the battery was very low so I removed and fitted mine the next day.thr car started first turn and runs perfect .been told bad batterys can cause issues too.
    I put a new varta battery in it about 3 months ago. Cranked it all day sunday no problem. It was driving at really low power rather than just totally going that why I originally thought fuel pump but it isn't that.
    Sorry lads missed the two posts prior to James'.
    It has 1/2 a tank of petrol. I put a new cam sensor in it about 5 months ago. Was a meyle one iirc. Would the cam really stop the fuel pump getting it's 12 volts though? When the cam sensor did fail it it before would run and just die if I didn' rev the bollocks out of it. It was running reallly really well that's why I'm stumped???
    [hr]
    Thanks for the replies too it only done 53 miles since passing the NCT that annoys me more

BMWHaus Guru

Fuel pump woes

Is it worth replacing the cam sensor incase it has failed again? It didn't show when I read the codes the last time. Anyone have any advice at all?

BMWHaus Guru

What happens if anything when you turn the key? Crank sensor?

BMWHaus Guru

Just cranks for ever. Won't run. Have tricked it into running a few times.
    It runs weird and stalls. Have a new cam sensor coming tomorrow. If that doesn't work will be towed to mechanic this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer
    No alarm not affecting it. Will cycle when I jump the pins at the relay.
    That doesn't mean alarm won't affect it, if alarm cuts control signal to relay. If it is also cutting power to ecu that might explain no start even when pump running.

BMWHaus Guru

Fuel pump woes

I installed the alarm so I know it's ok. I don't want to discuss the specifics of an alarm install on a 36 on a public fourm but it's grand thanks for the reply

BMWHaus Guru

Where the fuck is the crank sensor? Can't see it at all and searching on the net is bringing me waffle. Can I access from the underneath? It's not the cam anyway changing it makes no difference I will measure the resistance of the crank after I remove and clean it if I can ever find it!!!

BMWHaus Guru

So the Crank Sensor reads 578ohms across pins 1 and 2.
    I think this is correct or very close to what it should read. Got the car to start briefly and then it died a few seconds later. Fuel pump is now priming with the cranking but still no start! Has anyone a crank sensor they can check resistance across pins 1 and 2 for me? Or could it still be faulty?

BMWHaus Guru

Fuel pump woes

Did you try a second key? Also you should get it read with diagnostics to see what's going on.

Not sure about the sensor readings but if your in that far then I'd change it anyway. Your one is the type with the lead that plugs in under the intake manifold?

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HealyC
    Did you try a second key? Also you should get it read with diagnostics to see what's going on.

Not sure about the sensor readings but if your in that far then I'd change it anyway. Your one is the type with the lead that plugs in under the intake manifold?
    Correct. Yes I have been trying a few different keys. Getting diagnostics this evening hopefully. The last time I had them read the Cam did not show as an error so that's why I haven't bothered doing yet. At least it starts the odd time now. Least I know my battery is good that varta would crank all day long!