Thread: Vintage Car NCT on the way maybe!

BMWHaus Guru

Vintage Car NCT on the way maybe!

Just spotted this article, not a lot of detail though!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/rsa-considers-road-tests-for-vintage-cars-645431.html

RE: Vintage Car NCT on the way maybe!

Lot of confusion on this, Basically at the moment any car or camper registered before 1/1/1980 is exempt, Commercial trucks are not exempt!

The new EU law introduced last April, Gives each country 4 options on how to implement testing for vintage cars and commercials (Social domestic and pleasure use only!)

1: Anything pre 1960 has to be tested.
    2: Anything pre 1980 has to be tested. (Same as it is now)
    3: Rolling 40 year exemption.
    4: Rolling 30 year exemption. (It used be this way until 2010)

Link to public consultation document here,
    http://rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle%20Std%20Leg/Consultations/Roadworthiness_Testing_of_Vintage_Vehicles_Consult ation_Document.pdf

Response form here,
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle%...ponse_Form.doc

The closing date for receipt of submissions is Friday 14 November 2014. Your feedback should be e-mailed to: vintagevehicles@rsa.ie or posted to:

Vintage Vehicles Consultation
    Vehicle Standards Section,
    Road Safety Authority,
    Moy Valley Business Park,
    Primrose Hill,
    Ballina,
    Co. Mayo.

Personally I think it should be a rolling 30 year exemption, Could you imagine taking a your 1970 Morris Minor in for an NCT? They wouldn't know what to do with it!!

When you think of cars from 1984 there not exactly common, Granadas/Sierras/Kadettes/Mantas etc... I know there are exceptions to the rule but generally these are looked after examples. And how many of these early 1980s cars contribute to road accidents/deaths? Very very little if any at all I would guess.

BMWHaus Guru

Re: Vintage Car NCT on the way maybe!

So a rolling 30 year job would be any car that turns 30 is exempt from testing? So like your example an '84 would be exempt as it's 30years old but an '85 would still require testing until it turns 30 next year?

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    So a rolling 30 year job would be any car that turns 30 is exempt from testing? So like your example an '84 would be exempt as it's 30years old but an '85 would still require testing until it turns 30 next year?

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk 2
    Yup that's it basically.... It used be that way up to 2010 but they froze it at 1/1/1980.

It would more than likely be done the same way as Vintage Tax (Also 30year rolling) it'll go by the date of first registration, So if your car was first registered in December 1984, It's not exempt from testing until December 2014.

AFAIK, The UK was exempting pre-1960 from MOT, But there now having a rolling 30year exemption.