Thread: Dension Gateway 500 help

BMWHaus Contributor

Dension Gateway 500 help

I have just installed a Dension Gateway 500 in my 05 E60 530i sport

My car had the cd changer in the glove box and a single cd slot and dvd slot just below the heater controls

Cd changer played Cds before I removed it. Once I removed the cd changer I split the power connector and the 2 fibre optic connectors that went into the back of the cd changer

Using the connectors that came with the Dension unit, I installed a new connector on the fibre optic connections making sure the input and output went in the right way.

I then connected the Dension power connector to the cd power connector. Positive to positive and negative to negative. I also ensured that the first 2 dip switches were up and the rest were down as per the Dension instruction manual

I updated the Dension using the latest firmware from the Dension website and can confirm it worked because it removed the rom file and left bin files behind

Now I insert my usb stick (which works in my pc and usb stereo in wifes car) nothing happens. I choose Cd mode on the idrive. It goes to CD5 and track 99. But I get no music. If I choose a different track like track 1 or 6 it just goes back to track 99

Is it because I need MP3 enabled on the car or is the single slot cd player causing the issue or is there another issue??

Thanks

BMWHaus Guru

Dension Gateway 500 help

@[rebel.ranter] is the man who'll know the answer to this

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Dension Gateway 500 help

The fact that it is a 2005 car means it needs to have +KMP3 added to the VO of the car. Then the CCC/MASK needs to be default coded. Essentially you need to add MP3 capability.
    It can be done with NCS expert, Autologic or the dealer could do the MP3 retrofit.

If you're down in Cork I could do it for you or I'll be up in Dublin for the South Africa rugby match on the 8th Nov.

Try plugging a feed from your phone or iPod or phone in to the AUX ports to confirm that sound comes out, I bet it does.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter
    The fact that it is a 2005 car means it needs to have +KMP3 added to the VO of the car. Then the CCC/MASK needs to be default coded. Essentially you need to add MP3 capability.
    It can be done with NCS expert, Autologic or the dealer could do the MP3 retrofit.

If you're down in Cork I could do it for you or I'll be up in Dublin for the South Africa rugby match on the 8th Nov.

Try plugging a feed from your phone or iPod or phone in to the AUX ports to confirm that sound comes out, I bet it does.
    There is no need to enable MP3 to be able to play music from USB sticks
    Dension 500 works perfectly without adding MP3 to the VO. Only IPOD is enough. CDC is not enough.

Also OP keep it small, the Dension 500 does not like huge USB sticks/USB hard drives. That causes issues.

BMWHaus Guru

You definitely need to enable MP3 on earlier cars, later cars have it automatically. I think adding +IPOD is the same as adding $392 & +KMP3 to the VO. You could also change two settings in the M-ASK/CCC, mp3 -> aktiv & mp3_cdc -> full but better to modify VO & default code.

You can use larger USB sticks if you Index them, there is a free indexer utility that you can download from the Dension website:

http://www.dension.com/forward?path=node%2F827

The Dension unit can index a memory stick without using the utility but it struggles with anything large. Best to index it with the utility first, the USB then has a ready made file that the Gateway 500 can read instead of trying to create one.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter
    You definitely need to enable MP3 on earlier cars, later cars have it automatically. I think adding +IPOD is the same as adding $392 & +KMP3 to the VO. You could also change two settings in the M-ASK/CCC, mp3 -> aktiv & mp3_cdc -> full but better to modify VO & default code.

You can use larger USB sticks if you Index them, there is a free indexer utility that you can download from the Dension website:

http://www.dension.com/forward?path=node%2F827

The Dension unit can index a memory stick without using the utility but it struggles with anything large. Best to index it with the utility first, the USB then has a ready made file that the Gateway 500 can read instead of trying to create one.
    You can not add MP3 to earlier e60 with original software, the function does not exist. Take CCC C04, the first version of the CCC with the green /brown screen, that does not work.
    You don't change individual settings in the CCC/MASK either, always use the VO.

Anyway here OP has a 05, not really an issue. Assuming the Dension was installed properly (Make sure the blue light is steady blue), only IPOD and MULF needs to be added to the VO.

BMWHaus Contributor

plugging in an ipod into the dension resolved the issue (I don't have an aux)

but I don't get the text for the songs or artists