Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun licence question

RE: Gun licence question

Quote Originally Posted by dean-e36
    It won't be used very frequently but will be securely put away from easy access. (Wouldn't be reachable if someone broke in) and no children

It's a trap gun over and under, im very accustomed to using , maintaining and correct handling of rifle and shotgun. Joys of growing up in the country.
    I've just never applied for a licence before, have been meaning to for a long time
    Fair play, you'll have a lot of fun down at the range with an over and under. You shouldn't have any bother getting the licence.

Sorry if I appeared a bit condescending in my replies, definitely wasn't trying to. I just wanted to put in as much info as possible for anyone to read as it's hard for one person to think of everything.

Making the course mandatory for new licence applicants is a great idea and I learned a lot from a great bunch of lads. I have the cert framed and on the wall.

All the best.

BMWHaus Contributor

It wasn't condescending at all , i didnt give any information of my experience .very informative and will be a handy resource for anyone else on the site thinking of apply . Thanks again

BMWHaus Contributor

Do they not allow pistols to the lay man no ? lads do quite a bit a shooting around here, off the road, close to it, in fields, over water etc, always though it was a bit to close for comfort really

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ford 2
    Do they not allow pistols to the lay man no ? lads do quite a bit a shooting around here, off the road, close to it, in fields, over water etc, always though it was a bit to close for comfort really

It is possible to get a pistol, but it can ONLY used at the range (approved for pistol shooting) you are a member of. They have been heavily restricted in the last few years as well. Rimfire only, limited to five rounds and generally can only purchase a model pre approved on the garda list of competition standard pistols.

There was a bit of a free for all a few years back once the law on banning pistols was found not only to be non existent, but the garda seizure in the sixties was illegal. They have reigned back licensing since, and rightly so, I know a lot of people that have shotgun/rifle licences that dont have the competence to own them, let alone own a centre fire pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford 2
    There are plenty of lads, who watch too much TV, spend too much time playing shoot em up games on Xbox or Playstation and who think they're Clint Eastwood.

The same lads would hide under the bed if it came down to it.

BMWHaus Contributor

Great replies in this thread guys, thanks.
    I've always wondered about the process too but never got round to digging deep into it.

It was I my when i got involved in the planning process for a gun range that I bacane interested. That was a few years ago now though so all info from back then has been updated with new rules, regulations etc

Would it be difficult to get a licence in an urban area?
    I would be only interested in target shooting, no hunting or anything to be honest.