Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: E36 rubbing issue

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E36 rubbing issue

Quote Originally Posted by FunkySeeFunkyDoo
    Isn't that your right turret? That L is supposed to mean left isn't it?
    Yep they are reversed, for a bit more camber, common enough to do it so I'm told

Hadn't realised your using EVO mounts,I think using them on non-M wishbones causes this issue with the steering I'm sure someone else will confirm.

BMWHaus Guru

Hadn't realised your using EVO mounts,I think using them on non-M wishbones causes this issue with the steering I'm sure someone else will confirm.
    Haven't heard that one before? :huh: As far as I know (which isnt exactly a whole lot) they are primarly used to give a bit more negative camber. Haven't seen anything about them effecting the steering or having to use them with m wishbones.

BMWHaus Contributor

evo wishbones move the wheel a little more forward.

Don't take my word for it, I could be wrong it's happened before :tounge:, that bit of camber could be enough to cause inner rubbing.

BMWHaus Guru

Don't take my word for it, I could be wrong it's happened before :tounge:, that bit of camber could be enough to cause inner rubbing.
    :hehe!:

Possibly and it could be that I'm using standard wishbones, really confused because from my web searching and talking to people prior to doing this I was under the impression I shouldnt have ill effects. The camber is quite mild compared to what it was before.

I know prior to the change in the geometry (same as standard arms) of the EVO control arms they used eccentric bushes, but once they were changed they used concentric bushes.

All in a nights googling and I'm none the wiser to what my issue is. :sad: The bushes I used were concentric.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Ketron
    After a bit of googling, would the M3 top mounts not give positive castor?

My top mount:

And would give negative camber.

EDIT: Deffo have positive castor anyways:

Apologies, you are right it's positive caster and negative camber

BMWHaus Guru

Im wondering if i fit eccentric bushes would that cure my issue? It would give me the equivalent of fitting evo arms and more positive castor, or would it be too much castor and mess with my steering?

Dont want to start throwing money at it if it will make matters worse or not cure the rubbing issue.

Thanks lads.

BMWHaus Guru

I had normal wishbones in but then mine is a 318is and not a 328 is there a difference?

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    I had normal wishbones in but then mine is a 318is and not a 328 is there a difference?
    I think the E36 328i sports used eccentric bushes for awhile, other than than I dont think so. I've been doing a fair bit of googling on the issue.

3l M3's used eccentric bushes and so did the EVOs until the control arm geometry was changed around 1996, then they went back to concentric bushes.

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45638

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f17/1996-e36-m3-evo-wishbone-bush-type-now-delivered-t71173/

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=72&t=655663&nmt=Tramlining+E36+325

05 Set rubber mounting f wishbone 1 31129059288 $30.37
    For vehicles with
    M Sports suspension
    S704A=Yes
    05 Set rubber mounting f wishbone 1 31129059288 $30.37
    For vehicles with
    Motorsport suspension,indiv. series Avus
    05 Set rubber mounting f wishbone 1 06/1992 31129064875 $40.37

It could be quite simply that I have the wrong bush, and actually should be using a eccentric bush. But want to be 100% before I change them out again.