Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VRT

BMWHaus Contributor

VRT

Quick question,

If I was to pick up a car in England, drive it home and store it somewhere, how long would I have before I have to VRT it?? Or is it just a case of when I NCT it they will stick the VRT on??

Could revenue come knocking on my door looking for VRT if the car was literally just driven off a boat to storage?

RE: VRT

You must book an appointment within 7 days and have all your affairs in order within 30 days from the date of sale, otherwise you are into fines at a daily rate only other option is to delay the sale date on the paperwork? Revenue won't know about the car imported unless they speak with your insurance company, or you go to make an appointment for VRT inspection at the NCT centre. But you might have to prove this with the ferry receipt date or similar!

Insurance will only give you 30 days cover also on a 'foreign' reg plate. At least that was the case for me in the past anyway.

ya can't put a uk car in your name so they won't know how long you have it, just write up a little receipt when it comes time to vrt it saying that you bought it less than 30 days ago

Above is correct.

But I know of cars here years that were VRTd with no hassle.
    We had a W123 Merc here for about 7 years before it was changed over.

Just wrote out a receipt saying it was bought up north 2 weeks previous and it was accepted.

Be careful though because they can and will fine you for late payment (Really depends on who you meet on the day)

Also be careful with insurance, I'v heard that they will report the UK reg to revenue if it's here a while without being changed over.

BMWHaus Guru

VRT

Just write your own receipt, my dad brings in cars from time to time and does this. Have had cars sitting around weeks before vrt with no hassle at all.

BMWHaus Guru

All of the above is true, but the killer may be that they can request proof of transport in to the country (i.e. ferry ticket). When Revenue looked after VRT themselves this often wasn't requested but its on the NCTS box ticking list and they've asked for it on the couple of occasions I've imported something since the changeover.

BMWHaus Contributor

Thanks for all the responses, I'm just toying with the idea of picking something up in the UK and storing it, im in two minds, as I wouldnt want to be paying the VRT straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by dergside
    All of the above is true, but the killer may be that they can request proof of transport in to the country (i.e. ferry ticket). When Revenue looked after VRT themselves this often wasn't requested but its on the NCTS box ticking list and they've asked for it on the couple of occasions I've imported something since the changeover.
    I know they have got a lot stricter but who's to say you bought it in the uk , you can easily say you bought it off someone here so you wouldn't have any ferry receipt

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RobH
    I know they have got a lot stricter but who's to say you bought it in the uk , you can easily say you bought it off someone here so you wouldn't have any ferry receipt
    Only a suitably registered dealer is allowed to hold a foreign registered car in stock here and they are not allowed to sell it on foreign plates (unless to another suitably registered dealer). They are required to account for VRT on the sale and deliver it on Irl plates.

Anything else (e.g. buying from a private seller in NI) requires a paper trail and the burden of proof is on the person presenting the car.

As an aside, with the requirement in the UK for continuous road tax, MOT and insurance (or SORN), holding a UK (or NI) reg car "limbo" can have a significant effect on the seller in terms of automatic fines, etc. so its probably fair to say that the seller won't be slow about dobbing a buyer in if it came to it.

BMWHaus Guru

But more importantly, what are you buying Marc?