Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurers refusing to insure older cars

BMWHaus Guru

Insurers refusing to insure older cars

http://m.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/insurers-refuse-to-cover-older-vehicles-31397715.html

Have you ever heard such B.S?

Their list of excuses in pathetic and makes no sense.

BMWHaus Guru

This isn't anything new, FBD won't insure a car older than 12 years.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Insurers refusing to insure older cars

Quote Originally Posted by John_D
    http://m.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/insurers-refuse-to-cover-older-vehicles-31397715.html

Have you ever heard such B.S?

Their list of excuses in pathetic and makes no sense.
    I don't particularly blame the companies themselves. It's the regulation of the market that's the real joke tbf. A lot of those companies are worrying because they are not as profitable as they once were. Supposidly there is the declined cases committee. If your refused insurance by 3 companies you refer to them and someone has to take you. But here we have a company refusing openly and hey it's OK and nothing is done about it. It should not be OK. They are not even the worst. Some companies only take cars 10 years or less.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    I don't think it's Fbd man they price you out of it if they don't want you but Fbd don't have this.

I had this problem trying to insure a car before, every insurance company bar 1 had refused to quote me on a car that was according to them "too old".
    I think it's a little insulting to be honest, if someone has chosen to take on the financial burden of running a car in this country they better well be able to afford a car the insurance companies deem worth insuring.

All totally invalid excuses in that article.

Sent via my Telegraph machine using morse code

Not true i was with fbd up until last month no issues same with a friend of mine and his e36

Administrator

This country gets worse by the day!

Ye get screwed as it is, if your car is of that age, due to being on the CC based tax rate, the value of your car takes a hit because of it too and now there'll be issues insuring them (no doubt other companies will watch closely and follow suit), meaning the car is totally worthless, unless it's deemed worth importing to the UK.

Isnt the NCT to prove your car road worthy!! So if you've a valid one at time of renewing your policy they should have to quote you!! We've all seen cars of pretty much every age that should be refused insurance!

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Not true i was with fbd up until last month no issues same with a friend of mine and his e36
    They wouldn't quote for the 525 or the M5.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    They wouldn't quote for the 525 or the M5.
    Probably the same policy as Aviva or Allianz..they insure cars over 12 yrs old for current customers. New customers they won't....

This is just another reason for insurers to screw people.

Although I do thing we need to adopt a UK MOT approach and give more advisories on tests, All I'v seen is tyre under 3mm or over 6 years old...
    Why not advise that brake pads are a bit low, Bit of corrosion underneath (But not serious enough to fail but needs to be sorted) etc..

The amount of people that assume once they're car has a valid NCT, It will need no maintenance until the next NCT.

My car passed the NCT last week, He failed me on the font on my number plates (Slightly bolder font).... Didn't give me an advisory on my 2 front tyres that are low on thread (2ish mm and I'v since replaced them)

But all the above can apply to a 1997 car or 2007 car!

The people who don't look after they're cars whether it be 1997 or 2007, Insurance will make no difference to them... They'll sell up and buy something a bit newer if needs be. While the genuine people will either get screwed on insurance or forced to change.