Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Get it off your chest.

BMWHaus Guru

Get it off your chest.

Given that the "alleged issues surrounding the award of the" east licence took place in the mid 90s are the "alleged issues" anything worse than other things going on at the time?

Eg Planning matters at the time generally involved brown envelopes, our senior politicians and future Taoiseach had piles of cash from magic sources and didn't operate a bank account, we had income tax amnesties for those who hadn't paid tax previously, fake offshore bank accounts were available in your local bank branch for everyone with a few bob, while the rich had Annesbacher.
    Veronica Guerin had just been shot, CAB was just set up to tackle "untouchable" thugs, the beef tribunal was in full swing.

Almost all aspects of life were riddled with corruption. While this doesn't exonerate any one person or issue it is notable that only one person who was active at that time is now the poster boy for a country's ire.

Give the events surrounding the construction of Liffey Valley have been shown to be somewhat dodgy should we not all boycott that shopping centre too if we're now all whiter than white?

If I'm going to have a proper rant it might as well be about my real pet hate. The creation of Nama is the single biggest failing of any government in the history of the state. It solidified and compounded banking losses resulting in the inevitable state bailouts of a troubled banking sector which was killed by the government. If the banks had been forced to fend for themselves some would have closed and others would have been taken over on the cheap who would have recovered value through seizing assets pledged as security (just as happened in the very early 90s). Instead we put all the power into the hands of a small number of people (the real decision makers) in Nama who either didn't have the time or the ability to make the best decision in the interest of the country in each specific case. Instead they just waited until asset prices recovered a bit and then flogged to international funds who are now making a killing. Nama reports a profit for the government but this pales into insignificance compared to the bank losses which resulted from the creation of Nama and were funded by the government too. The real profit is now being made by the new equity owners, most of who will not reinvest the profits in the country.

Think I'll take a deep breath now...

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Get it off your chest.

I have no problem with foreign companies setting up here and if the govt entice them in with sweet tax deals then I applaud them for that, These companies come in and spend 10's of millions setting up here and create sustainable well paid jobs for ordinary folk. Id much rather hear about my neighbour or brother or friend getting a 50k salary then hear that the company paid the govt 20 million in tax for the year.

I do have a problem with valuable Irish assets being dumped to some US investment fund who are only looking at Ireland because there's "Blood on the streets"

Fucking DoneDeal Timewasters!

I'v lost count of the people that text and just randomly don't reply, Have a set of Alloys up at the moment, 'Wheels still there?' or 'Best price?' You reply yes or a new price (Maybe €30/€40 knocked off asking) and never again here from them. Has happened a few times now on different items. Why???

On a set of 17'' as new never refurbed S-Class W221 wheels with tyres for sale, Up for €600. A guy drives from Kerry (55ish mile each way) Has a look and says perfect couldn't fault them, I'll give you €250 and take them. Did he seriously expect me to say yes? Adamant I was going to take €250 as that's what he paid for current set. (Standard 16'' that were kerbed/rough/budget tyres)

Then you have the abrupt phone calls, No questions on the item, Just 'Gimme your best price' .... Give a figure and they offer way less.... Why the fuck ask my best price if your going to make a 50% offer anyway?

Had a 05 Fiesta for sale last week, Fresh NCT/ Timing-Belt, Serviced and 4 new tyres.... Literally spent about €700 on it before I sold it. Couldn't be faulted. Girl rings, Comes and sees its/drives it/agrees a price... Just wants to get her daughter to view it before she agrees. (It's for her first car) But will 99% take it. Agree a time to come back that evening, Never heard from again. Not even a courtesy text to say they changed there mind..... Car sold next day for close to asking price to someone else.

Then I had the twat that was buying an E46 door, Rang made arrangements.... Rang about 5/6 times looking for directions. (Getting closer each time) Then just no contact.... Never heard from again.

Works both ways too, Drove to Kildare (250 mile return) to buy a 07 Fiesta.. Owned since nearly new, No dents/scratches... 4 Good Tyres.

Both bumpers scuffed, Both sides peppered with door dings. (Like it was in a public carpark since new)... 4 good tyres? 1 new budget I'v never heard of and 3 bald tyres.... Not on the markers but bald.

Most of the general public are just dim.

To add to this, Insurance.

I have a Sierra Cosworth, E36 318is and Z3 2.8i.... I'v driven none of them on the road only private land, I will NOT drive a car without insurance.
    Instead I drive a 2000 VW Golf 1.4 because that's all that makes financial since.

But the amount of people driving with no insurance is mental!! Some taking the piss majorly with 3rd party extension, (Skyline in mammys name?)
    Others not bothering at all.

BMWHaus Contributor

@ Ross. Thank you!

Just as I was in the middle of getting annoyed thinking about NAMA some dude rang me asking to buy a full car i have for breaking. My DD add is three lines long and two of those line are FULL CAR IS NOT FOR SALE!

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RossYB
    f****** DoneDeal Timewasters!

I'v lost count of the people that text and just randomly don't reply, Have a set of Alloys up at the moment, 'Wheels still there?' or 'Best price?' You reply yes or a new price (Maybe €30/€40 knocked off asking) and never again here from them. Has happened a few times now on different items. Why???

On a set of 17'' as new never refurbed S-Class W221 wheels with tyres for sale, Up for €600. A guy drives from Kerry (55ish mile each way) Has a look and says perfect couldn't fault them, I'll give you €250 and take them. Did he seriously expect me to say yes? Adamant I was going to take €250 as that's what he paid for current set. (Standard 16'' that were kerbed/rough/budget tyres)

Then you have the abrupt phone calls, No questions on the item, Just 'Gimme your best price' .... Give a figure and they offer way less.... Why the f*** ask my best price if your going to make a 50% offer anyway?

Had a 05 Fiesta for sale last week, Fresh NCT/ Timing-Belt, Serviced and 4 new tyres.... Literally spent about €700 on it before I sold it. Couldn't be faulted. Girl rings, Comes and sees its/drives it/agrees a price... Just wants to get her daughter to view it before she agrees. (It's for her first car) But will 99% take it. Agree a time to come back that evening, Never heard from again. Not even a courtesy text to say they changed there mind..... Car sold next day for close to asking price to someone else.

Then I had the t*** that was buying an E46 door, Rang made arrangements.... Rang about 5/6 times looking for directions. (Getting closer each time) Then just no contact.... Never heard from again.

Works both ways too, Drove to Kildare (250 mile return) to buy a 07 Fiesta.. Owned since nearly new, No dents/scratches... 4 Good Tyres.

Both bumpers scuffed, Both sides peppered with door dings. (Like it was in a public carpark since new)... 4 good tyres? 1 new budget I'v never heard of and 3 bald tyres.... Not on the markers but bald.

Most of the general public are just dim.
    That's cars and the economic climate for you! Very frustrating for sure. I generally don't take any interest in parts or cars seriously any more until I have cash in the paw. I think that adding the few bob on for the eventual "whats yer best price" question so you can drop the price has gotten out of hand. The other side of it is not all people are car people and don't always know the value of something but of course know they want it cheap!

BMWHaus Guru

Get it off your chest.

All this shite about Irish water. From the useless dole heads who have nothing better than harassing lads fitting the meters to the setting up of Irish water. Everything about it is a farce. Yes we do need to pay for water, end of but we need to be paying for a quality service which we do not have.

And moany cunts, i hate moany cunts.

And begrudgers, country is full of them. Somebody sees someone doing well then there shot down.

And back to moany cunts!

Quote Originally Posted by HealyC
    All this sh*** about Irish water. From the useless dole heads who have nothing better than harassing lads fitting the meters to the setting up of Irish water. Everything about it is a farce. Yes we do need to pay for water, end of but we need to be paying for a quality service which we do not have.
    I also agree with paying for water, PROVIDED we actually get drinkable water from the tap.... Not water with Limescale/Lead that needs to be boiled.

The meters were a stupid idea though, Will end up like the electronic voting machines in years to come. Some houses still don't have a meter.

Flat fee across the board to go towards the provision of clean water.... No money wasted on meters but like everything it was over-complicated and they made a farse of it.

Gonna trump you all here lads. Foookin Adverts.ie! :@ worse than donedeal texts

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ciars
    Gonna trump you all here lads. Foookin Adverts.ie! :@ worse than donedeal texts
    well played!