Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Petrol Stations / Ethanol etc

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Petrol Stations / Ethanol etc

Interesting thread. I'm in France at the moment and it seems that nearly all stations are selling only e85 95ron petrol or super 98. Have been using the e85 (in the 530i) and noticed that the car seemed to be a little sluggish. Filled the tank today, a little over half a tank, with 98 and the car felt much more like it ought to. It might just be my imagination, but certainly felt that way today on the last third of a 650km run.

As an aside, the e39 530i is a great mile munched in these conditions. In this case the double glazing and adjustability of the leccy sports seats made it a very refined high speed run. Got out at the end as fresh as a daisy.

BMWHaus Contributor

Looks like we were there at the same time! I couldn't believe how cheap e85 was, if I was in France I'd certainly be running something set up for it and boosted!

BMWHaus Guru

Esso just been bought by Topaz so it'll all be washed soon....

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2015/1015/735084-topaz-esso-deal/

Out of interest, is it true that Maxol add ethanol to 95ron petrol?

BMWHaus Contributor

I work for Maxol, take our fuel deliveries quite often, we add nothing to it on site, goes straight from the tanker to our tanks. Don't think anything is in the tankers either and all the fuel pretty much comes from Whitegate, be it Topaz, Maxol, AppleGreen etc. All I know is that my car runs better and gets better MPG on Maxol/Topaz.
    E39 525iA Sport - Sapphire Black - SOLD
    E39 528iT SE - Orient Blue - SOLD
    E39 540i/A Sport - Topaz Blue

BMWHaus Guru

Petrol Stations / Ethanol etc

That's a shame! Like i said before i only use esso as car seems to run better. My dad is the same but filled up with Topaz last week and the car was pinking! Back with Esso and pinking has gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor

I found Esso to be poor, only mpg wise though, I seemed to get about 40/50 miles less. That's only one specific Esso though, haven't tried others.
    E39 525iA Sport - Sapphire Black - SOLD
    E39 528iT SE - Orient Blue - SOLD
    E39 540i/A Sport - Topaz Blue

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos
    That's a shame! Like i said before i only use esso as car seems to run better. My dad is the same but filled up with Topaz last week and the car was pinking! Back with Esso and pinking has gone

Haven't noticed that myself, I regularly fill up at maxol. Must try Esso and see if I notice a difference.

Filled up the 116i tonight, nearly fell over when it filled for less that €70 and shows 691km to empty!!!

BMWHaus Guru

50 litre tank on the 1 series iirc! How are you finding the 116? Any noticeable diff in steering? Heavier or lighter than the M?

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos
    50 litre tank on the 1 series iirc! How are you finding the 116? Any noticeable diff in steering? Heavier or lighter than the M?

Feels like a normal bmw, definitely not heavy.
    I'll spin out to you one evening to do a comparison