Thread: Vrt calculations

BMWHaus Contributor

Vrt calculations

I seen a few cars i like and I entered the spec into the calculator in ros website
    If I print this out will it be accurate or is what they Base their quotes on also?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    i paid the vrt on the s2000 based on that - but they do examine the car at the nct centre when your paying

BMWHaus Contributor
    And would that create a potential issue

BMWHaus Contributor
    I printed out relevant details on a car recently but on the day they couldn't give me a figure. I had to wait a few days for this and it was €400 more than website. Previous ones I've done have been straight forward enough.

BMWHaus Contributor
    So if I land in with the car and the printout it may be more
    Is there a number you could enquire beforehand
    Just bit afraid to get stung

BMWHaus Contributor
    I vrt'd my f10 520 around last January. It was 900 dearer than I had been quoted online. But I appealed it after I payed and got the 900 back. Took about 2 months to sort out.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    If you don't. Mind me asking what ground did you appeal it on

I'm looking at a 320 d m sport f30 and can't get a proper vrt quote on it

BMWHaus Guru
    If you've gotten a good match on the VRT website, with exact model, trim and CO2 descriptions then print the details and print them again on the day you are presenting the car.

The earlier figure should only be used for guidance (on the right hand side of the calculator there is a statement - "The amount shown is that payable on the date of enquiry. A different amount may be payable if the Open Market Selling Price has changed and/or if a different rate of CO2 emissions is applicable" but the value on the day can be relied upon if you've got a good match, but must be printed. The only notable exceptions are if you have chosen an inaccurate description or CO2 example (even if you've input a correct CO2 figure on an otherwise similar description with a different CO2 figure), or where the car is less than 4 years old and has optional extras fitted.

The reason for not being able to rely on the earlier figure is that the VRT folks change the "Depreciation code allocated by Revenue" (can be seen on the Calculator result) from time to time. These codes represent a depreciation pattern over the lifecycle of the vehicle at various ages. They review their estimated values against what they claim is real world data, e.g. ads, dealer feedback, etc. and if there seems to be a discrepancy they will look to see if there is a depreciation pattern - Code - that better fits the real world values as they believe them to be. That can mean that the OMSP can be higher on the day that you present the car than it was on the day you first enquired and its the OMSP on the day that they will go on.

In theory the OMSP can fall as well as rise but for the most part, especially over the last 18 months or so, the recent value changes have been upward. This is probably a reasonable reflection on the state of the car market here in recent times where retail prices have recovered from their downturn worst levels. In fairness, they did drop a lot of OMSP's during the downturn too so they do adjust in both directions. Its hard to see a pattern of how often they re-examine values and make adjustments but for the majority of cars that I keep an eye on the values have changed at least once in the past year, and in some cases have changed multiple times.
    Current: BMW 530e M-Sport - '17, BMW 630i Sport auto - '07, BMW 325i Coupe - '93, BMW Z4 2.5si Auto - '07, '90 BMW 316i Lux.

Previous: BMW 328i Coupe - '96, BMW 530i SE auto - '07, BMW 530i Sport auto - '02, BMW 318i SE Touring - '07, BMW 330Ci Sport - '04, BMW 520d SE - '11, BMW 523i SE - '00, BMW 328i SE Touring - '00, BMW 523i SE - '97, BMW 323i SE - '98, 330Ci - '00, 325i Coupe - '93, 318Ci - '01, 316iSE - '98, 325iSE 2dr - '91, 320i Conv - '91, 325i Coupe - '92, 320i 2dr - '91.

BMWHaus Contributor
    They changed the omsp on the car I was registering. I sent them a few examples of cheaper cars than they said mine was worth. I also argued that my car was bought privately. And the examples that I sent to them were from simi registered garages with warranty and worth more than mine.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    I got a VRT quote online of about €1500 before buying my car. I then bought the car a week later and when I went to register it I was charged €2500 as they had just changed the depreciation table a few days beforehand.