Thread: e39 530d first service

e39 530d first service

After buying a 2001 530d auto.

Only have it 2 days and want it 100% before i start driving it.

So my list to far is

diesel filter
    air filter
    check swirl flaps are gone.

Does this model 530d have the loo rool filter and can i replace it with a vortex filter.

Anything else i need to do?

BMWHaus Contributor
    If it's an auto it'll have the swirl flaps unless someone else amputated them.
    Deffo change the loo roll breather for vortex. That and the filters should have it in fairly good shape - oh, go with the best oil you can get - I always use Mobil 1 5W 30 (ESP now that it's mainly used in cars with DPF'S) it just means it's a low ash content oil, but I've had it in 3 530d's over 250K mile combined and never had to shell out for a turbo

I usually buy 5 gallon drums of shell helix ultra. Do you think MOBIL 1 is better. Yes im expecting the swirl flaps wil be gone but want to make 100% sure. Do i need to go near transmission at all? Will my 2001 530 take the updated vortex filter and if so do i buy them from main dealer or maby someone on this sight?
    Last edited by owly; 03-08-16 at 22:01.

BMWHaus Guru
    But the vortex from main dealer it's cheap. Fergus from Frank Keane is a site sponsor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    OP - read this thread through about engine oils and see what you think (I chip in near the end of it) - http://www.bmwhaus.ie/vbulletin/show...gine-Oil/page3

What kind of miles is on the auto box, and do you know if it was changed / filter changed before? If it's over 140K miles and never done, leave well enough alone.

Tell the BMW parts guy you want a vortex filter for an early E60 530d - the one that replaced the loo roll but fits in the loo roll housing.

cheers lads for the info. Ill read through that thread now. it has full service history up to 120k about 160 on it now. Car runs smooth through all the gears but just want to keep it that way. Planning on keeping this car for many years to come so want everything prefect.

So Mobil 1 5W30 is the way forward in the oil department.