Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Not really a daily... My E39 M5

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    My aluminium scoops aren't bent tbh.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    I'm not giving a dig Tristan, the scoops look good, but the strips of aluminium that hang down from them are bent slightly up, into the curve shape in the photo - I think when they're new they are straighter. Simple to put right with a pliers, it lets the screw holes line up easier etc
    Fair enough on the vent's being blanked in the M5 liner - ever day's a school day - how weird is that? You'd imagine the M5 disc would be the hottest of the lot and need the most cooling / fade prevention.

Well I'll be damned - yup real oem confirms 520's and M5 have the same non opening liners only
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...989&series=E39

Compared to say 530D M Sport
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=51712694899
    Last edited by 318is-joe; 15-03-17 at 23:41.

Honest to hell Joe, it doesn't make sense does it?

I get what you mean about the ally strips, I thought the same myself, but without seeing others I wasn't sure what shape they should be.

No digs taken lol. I'm a lot thicker skinned than that! 😂

BMWHaus Contributor
    I'm well known to be a persistent b&stard when I want to find out why something is the way it is for a technical reason
    It turns out that
    The 520i doesn't need cooling for obvious reasons
    Everything in between does
    The m5 doesn't need ram air cooling because the disc has both rear and front (of disc) air passage. This lets the disc do it's work independent of ram air ducted (motorway) speed. makes sense for a car that can be just sent to twisty's.

But that doesn't seem to be the case in real life, standard M5 brakes were the weakest link in the package (start to fade early) but the big brake conversions handled that - all depends on what you do with your baby.

Yea, that was the same as what I thought. Still, doesn't seem legit. Agree totally, stock M5 brakes are barely adequate for the weight IMHO. I'd love to try the M3 multi pot conversion, even though the disc is slightly smaller.
    I'm trying to keep this Big Girl as oe as possible within reason. And I won't be trackdaying it.

I feel better though with the increased airflow to the inner arch area, even if it only helps a small bit.
    While in that area, it's crossed my mind to add an extra, colder, air feed to the airboxes... free power at worst, and concealed by the bumper.

After that I think a rear view camera retrofit, probably an e60 rather than E39 one, and I think the sisters are getting me Bluetooth with aux-in for my upcoming birthday.

NCT due next month, fingers crossed. If financial constraints aren't too bad I might tax it for May.

BMWHaus Contributor
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-W-BMW...EAAOSw2gxYuVXi

Scroll to the pic with the wheel off, front wheel arch ;-)

BMWHaus Guru

Not really a daily... My E39 M5

Quote Originally Posted by 318is-joe View Post
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-W-BMW...EAAOSw2gxYuVXi

Scroll to the pic with the wheel off, front wheel arch ;-)
    Unlikely to be the original arch liners

It should also have headlight washers, I would say someone cheaped out on a repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Dave; 26-03-17 at 11:16.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Unlikely to be the original arch liners

It should also have headlight washers, I would say someone cheaped out on a repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Well spotted Dave.

I was kinda suggesting that someone else had the same thinking as Tristan, i.e the liner should have had openings to flow air to the back of the disc.

That aside, well spotted - paint looks very fresh on it alright
    Last edited by 318is-joe; 26-03-17 at 12:33.

Nice car though with some choice mods. Ksport brakes is surprising though, wouldn't be very highly regarded compared to AP or Brembo etc.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Nice car though with some choice mods. Ksport brakes is surprising though, wouldn't be very highly regarded compared to AP or Brembo etc.

There is a "BMW performance" upgrade kit for the M5 AFAIK - There was a lad on here from Cork -PhilipM5, with the mother of all E39 M5's in terms of mod's - don't think he's around here that much now, but he had some savage discs and I remember a monster calliper wrapping around them. I'm sure the lads here know what I'm on about.

Is that the M3 kit? Like this
    https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...e92-325i-328i/