Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Religion

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Yep, and guess who they voted for in the US presidential election??

Didn't know the Russians were deeply religious.

BMWHaus Guru
    Life of Brian sums it up well.

I reckoned I was part of the last group of kids that experienced all the mad stuff.
    Pubs shut for two hours on Sunday, nowhere open on Sundays, life revolving around the church. “The stations” (mass in my aunts house), no meat in Good Friday & Ash Wednesday, Flight of the Doves on St Patrick’s Day, and other nuts stuff.

I grew up in a town that had a monastery and a convent, the monastery is now a hotel & the convent is closed too. I was an altar boy that was probably very lucky to avoid the darker elements of th church. I went to a school staffed by the monks and was thought piano by a nun.

Now I’m like most in this thread. Sickened by the way the church dealt with the various scandals, especially given that it was frighteningly close to home (without me knowing at the time!). There’s a lot of good intentions for most involved in the catholic (& other) churches/religions. It’s when the fanatics, hypocrites and the ones that take everything literally that kills it for me.

Be good and do good, that’s my thing (well, where reasonably possible).

Only go to funerals & weddings now, no kids so Christmas Day mass for me. I’ll still get an Easter egg though!
    I agree that religion has a lot of great structures to help deal with life events and we probably wouldn’t have as many days off work if it wasn’t for religion. However they did borrow some elements from pagan & other cultures (like Christmas trees). It is also great for building a sense of community because there’s a lot about bringing people together.

I’m torn between being sad at the demise of the structured society that I was born in to & relieved at the eradication of the culture of fear, abuse and moral high ground-ness. The sad part is that it has been replaced by materialistic worship and faux “social” interaction. Social media is the new worship. And that is not a good thing. I kind of exclude this site from a faux social media because I’ve met everyone that has posted on this thread so far in person.

Would I be upset at hearing Spirit FM? No, if the driver is happy and not ramming extreme views my way it’s all good. I see my mother in law “religiously” attend mass every week, suffering the penance and she lives it. Let her off, she’s happy! And that’s what it’s all about.
    Last edited by rebel.ranter; 27-03-18 at 22:08. Reason: Atrocious spelling

BMWHaus Guru
    EDIT: I don’t think I met you eamo!

BMWHaus Contributor
    I often accidentally tune to Spirit FM and think the songs are ok, then the talking starts about Jesus and what not and I go " ah here" and turn over. I am an athiest but not millitant. Folks can believe in whatever imaginary friends they want if it make them happy and doesnt make everyone else unhappy. I think a lot of us on here of of that age where we transitioned from children to adults during the catholic scandles, and saw our once devout parents doubt things.

I suppose our school system teaches us to be scientists, and the church wants us to believe stuff without question, most people cannot unite these opposite views.

I do worship at the alter of ///M Power mind you
    Last edited by Moe; 28-03-18 at 08:50.
    All me beemers are gone.....for now.

BMWHaus Guru
    I think religion should be a personal thing between an individual and whatever they choose to believe in - as in it shouldn't be forced on, or have any negative effects whatsoever on anyone else.

Having spent some time in places where religion is everything, and it's shoved in your face no matter where you go or what you do or discuss... I just want to be as far away from it as possible to be honest.

Mirroring what's been said above - you don't need religion to be a decent person, just don't be an a$$hole! Simple.

I must admit one positive aspect of growing up orthodox christian there was a certain community aspect about it, where people got together and got involved in events etc but as I got older having to endure the religious side of it wasn't worth the social aspect so that was that really.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36 View Post

I must admit one positive aspect of growing up orthodox christian there was a certain community aspect about it, where people got together and got involved in events etc
    Do you not think that what we are all doing here on the forum, and clubs, hobbies, sports have kind of taken over that very important aspect of life. We can all communicate with each-other, and find people of similar interests so easily now.
    All me beemers are gone.....for now.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Do you not think that what we are all doing here on the forum, and clubs, hobbies, sports have kind of taken over that very important aspect of life. We can all communicate with each-other, and find people of similar interests so easily now.
    Absolutely

Personally, I hate religion. Real life had taught me from a young age to question the existence of anything other than what we see or why the unfairness of the world was essentially part of some big plan. The older I got, the more appalled by the idea of religion I felt.

How a historical text (the Bible) has been interpreted into a system of control is, to me, an extremely infuriating subject and a discussion I won’t get into. The Catholic Church has pretty much lost its grip on this country and I feel within a generation or two it will be all pretty much left behind.

So to put it simply, I’ve no faith...no belief in any gods or goddesses. I’m ok with being human.

Although, I have committed a part of my life to a very particular type of German vehicle manufacturer....you could say I’m a Rasta- Bavarian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk