Quote Originally Posted by FunkySeeFunkyDoo View Post
Maybe we’ll all just have to use public transport...oh wait
Maybe those that bought lawn mowers, etc. through the Bike to Work scheme might actually get a bike next time they are eligible and maybe some of those that bought bikes might actually use them? Crazy thoughts, I know......

I've been watching the commentary, here and in the media, and I think it is slowly beginning to dawn on people that Climate Change is actually a life changing thing that we have to accept and embrace. Pffaffing about, tinkering with little things, etc. won't achieve what's actually needed. The changes that we need to make now, and in the years ahead, are going to have to be fairly radical precisely because we buried our heads in the sand for years while we burned everything in sight. The question is whether we have the capability to develop the technology and efficiency we need to avoid significant negative lifestyle changes (or existential worries) in the time we have?

What was announced yesterday was lacking quite a bit of solid ideas and specific action and intentions, but it did set out a little bit more clearly the approach that is going to be taken. Solar, wind and wave energy harvesting is key to meeting energy needs going forward. Reducing consumption through efficiency will be important. Over time, passive buildings must be the norm, not just for new building, but also retrospectively, BER exempt or poor performing properties we have today will need massive retro-fit upgrades. Transport, farting animals, etc. will all have to come up with plans to reduce their impact, including us drivers. Renewable sources of power will be needed to meet our existing energy needs and also provide for the extra energy for the things that derive their power from other sources today. Tax policy will be used to change practices, in the same way that they nudged a great many people to diesel cars from 2008 (even though that particular example was perhaps a little misguided). That means that inefficiency and "nasty" emissions will be taxed progressively harder over the coming years (and remember, 2030 is only 11 years away, so it will be ramped up at a significant rate if its to achieve its stated goal of no new fossil fuelled Internal Combustion Engines). A Carbon Tax of €80 per ton of CO2 equates to around €0.17 per litre on petrol I think I heard someone say yesterday, and that's just a starting point. The government did at least make it sound like the revenue from this, and other tax policy driven income will be used to help and incentivize people to make their own investments in renewable sources or more efficient usage of energy. Think solar panels, heat pumps and maybe even micro wind farms in more homes to ensure that at least the majority of power required at an individual level is created by the same consumer and higher costs for energy taken from the grid rather than created. Investments in these technologies by consumers will be significant but may be subsidized through the redistribution of the revenue raised by Carbon Taxes, etc. Also, economies of scale and further technology developments will bring down the costs of many of these technologies and solutions too.

And what about our cars? Whatever we already have won't go away but the costs associated with their use and upkeep, rather than more energy neutral newer means of transport, will rocket, probably more through an aggressive usage based cost model rather than a standing costs model. These cars will be expensive hobbies, to encourage limited or minimal use. It will probably become anti-social to use them, in the same way that smoking or drink-driving have changed from being a norm or acceptable to being anti-social in the past couple of decades. Policies, such as in Japan, where you can't buy a car if you don't have a parking space (or going forward don't have a charging point), very stringent testing to diminish the long term holding of ICE powered vehicles, etc. could also help change attitudes to the hobby.

While that's a bit of PITA, I think the bottom line is that action is required. I don't have kids, but I think I'd still like there to be some future life on this planet for my nieces, nephews, etc.