Insurance clamping down on cars over 10 years old is having an effect currently. A lot of folks in their 20's or 30's can't have something interesting for that reason and most are probably at a point in their lives where the logistics of having something tucked away that's not a daily for occasional use, e.g. space, cost, etc. is just not a runner, so there's a gap until they're a bit older and more established and might be able to swing having a toy. And there's only so many of those.

I'm not sure that it has ever been all that different though. The reason's might have changed but the effect is the same. While I would have loved to have a toy since the first time I could drive, rented accommodation, house and apartments, with no proper parking, didn't have the money, etc. all meant that it was plenty of years later before I could indulge. That's why cars that are somewhat desirable and seem to be everywhere suddenly seem to disappear off the face of the earth. There's a death zone that only a small number will get through. howmanyleft.co.uk is a great resource for seeing how quickly the numbers can decline.

On that note, I spotted a (now) rare beast on the road this morning - an '87 Ford Granada Scorpio. I can't remember the last time I saw one driving on the road rather than static at a show.