Quote Originally Posted by hooch View Post
Random one - I just checked the VRT on a Golf R the same spec as my own (151/manual/ 60k miles) and it's gone up nearly €500 since December when I bought mine and as far as I know that doesn't include nox? Thought it would be coming down but they seem to have adjusted the omsp upwards. Good for used values here I guess.
Aaah, there's an interesting one, and I just happen to have figures to help answer it. There are two factors at play in this case.

Firstly, the original OMSP has been increased to account for the NOx levy - the point I was making in my first post in this thread - the NOx figure for a 151 manual R seems to be 50mg/km as far as I can tell - so the NOx levy appropriate is €250. Last year the original OMSP was shown as €48384 and if you check today its shown as €48634. If you do the mat, thats an increase of €250 - equivalent to the NOx levy.

The second factor is something I alluded to earlier as well. Every car on the Calculator is assigned a Depreciation Code - you'll see it in the Breakdown of VRT Calculation section of the page - its a single alpha and single numeric, e.g. A1. If you look at the Revenue document that's linked a few posts back, one of the sections looks at the Depreciation Tables. Revenue look at price guides and get feedback from the trade, guesstimate, etc. to gauge the value of a particular model for any given year - not entirely clear what the details of that process is but it probably equates to something like the Self Estimate form details in the same link. When they have values for different years they calculate the percentage residual values (against the original OMSP) and they then take these figures and see which depreciation code on the table that this pattern is the closest match, and voila, there's the Depreciation Code.

So far, so good, except that they review these values from time to time and adjust them (both up and down as appropriate, in fairness to them) as the market moves.

So, to directly answer your question:
- in December 2019 the R was assigned Depreciation Code of D1, indicating that the value they placed on it was 48% less than the original OMSP (but there's another little complicating factor that I won't go in to now that means the actual depreciation value used was just a little bit over 50%) - so the OMSP was €23902, the VRT rate was 27%, so the VRT was ~€6453.
- Revenue changed the Depreciation Code in January to B1 and the depreciation rate for a 2015 B1 car, according to the table, is 49% less than the original OMSP (or, in fact the slightly adjusted original OMSP that now includes the NOx levy), although, again, the actual real depreciation rate to today is closer to 47.5% less than original OMSP - so the OMSP today is €25547, the VRT rate is still 27%, so the VRT you would be charged today is ~€6897.

Simples!