Quote Originally Posted by kdevitt View Post
The NoX levy really adds a whopping amount to a lot of cars......

.....My alternative is to just skip buying anything and hold on until 2022 or something.
NOx levy is why I focused on EU6. Even with diesels, the NOx values are mostly in mid double figures, so its not a big number. EU5, and earlier, can be a very different story.

As a slight aside, BMW effectively offered EU6 compliance as an option on some models right back to around 2012 with the BluePerformance option, even though it wasn't mandatory until late 2015. On a car like an F30 330d it gives the benefit of lower NOx, drops a level on VRT and road-tax and uses a more customer friendly Depreciation Group for VRT versus an standard EU6 compliant car, and a significant NOx difference for a non-optioned car. They made some cars EU6 compliant much earlier than the required date, e.g. F10 530d was compliant from LCI in mid 2013 I believe, whereas 520d was only compliant from the introduction of the B47 in 2014 and the 320d didn't get that until early 2015 iirc. I've yet to find information that says the F01 730d was ever EU6 compliant without the BP option as the cutover to the G model more or less coincided with the mandatory date for EU6 compliance.

Re. waiting until later, one thing to consider is whether the sorts of car you might want are likely to be swimmers, especially if you were of a mind to source it yourself. Brexit is going to add cost and throw a spanner in the works, for a while at least, from the end of the year.