Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do we do it?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Why do we do it?

Ever since I was a nipper I've loved BMWs, because of the look of them in the early days, then later for the way they drive and how they're built (usually). I grew up obsessed with E30s, just couldn't get enough of them really, and had planned for a long time to get one. Not sure I can imagine not having one now

Saying that, there's a long old list of cars I'd love to have, everything from a Lada Niva or Panda 4x4 to an F40. Not something I can switch off, it's just built into me really. Seeing an E24, or a Porsche 944 or a Mk2 Golf GTi on the way into work in the morning just makes my day! The phrase "It's just a car" is probably the worst thing anyone can say to me

I have loved cars forever. My Dad had a garage at the back of the house as a child and I practically grew up in it. I've been told that I could identify most car makes and models by the time I could walk and talk.

My interests aren't just BMWs, but pretty much anything. As above, I'd love an Austin A35 along side a McLaren mc12-4c in my lottery garage.

I don't smoke or gamble and I am an occasional drinker. I have no kids and no mortgage. I may as well spent what I have on what I love.

BMWHaus Guru

I have a lot of parallels to that. The family are car nuts (french) I grew up into it but had forgotten it. There have been pictures found recently of me as a little tot changing wheels on my Dads cars. Seems like I forgot all about this and didn't think much of cars until my 30's started. Then I got the beemer and realised it was a cool car. This then fed into well I can make it "my" cool car in my way. I don't drink, gamble or have kids either so why not is right.

Plus they go fast, look cool, need fixing and an understanding that most non car folk just don't get. It's a relationship!

BMWHaus Guru

I have always been into cars, The Only toys I bought as a young lad were cars or garages and car tracks.
    I was the same with BMXs, always buying better parts etc before I could drive

I think it gets worse over time and the more you learn the more you do or want to do.
    Id like to think I could buy a car and not do anything to it but I know as soon as i get one I get the itch to change something to make it my own.

BMWHaus Guru

Same as above, always loved cars ever since I can remember. My uncles are all car nuts and just pretty much passed down all their information and love of cars to me. I was sat down and questioned about the horsepower and torque figures of all the cars in the car magazines as if I had an exam on it I only had RC cars, model cars, car video games etc etc. and again ever since I could remember the cars that would get my attention were BMWs and my favourite car is the e36. I can't get enough of it, and I love it more and more everyday

BMWHaus Guru

Its because we are all smart!!!

Beats going out spending 30k on a 1.2diesel "because the road tax is only 156euro" then selling it 3 years later for 15k thinking you have saved a fortune on tax.... :huh:

I think its also down to boredom, most modern cars are a snore fest to drive so having our own "stamp" on things on maybe something that's 10-15 years old or older make us feel better.

I think being into cars is only the start of it, it goes further then. Some are into engines and mechanics, others into cleaning and detailing, others into modifying the car all round.

I love all cars, but BMW more then most but do appreciate other stuff like Jap cars that make 200BHP from a 1600cc engine, I think people that get stuck into the "I only like BMW" or "I only like Honda" are not into cars IMO....

Probably gone a little off topic

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChrispyFish

Beats going out spending 30k on a 1.2diesel "because the road tax is only 156euro" then selling it 3 years later for 15k thinking you have saved a fortune on tax.... :huh:

I think its also down to boredom, most modern cars are a snore fest to drive so having our own "stamp" on things on maybe something that's 10-15 years old or older make us feel better.

I think being into cars is only the start of it, it goes further then. Some are into engines and mechanics, others into cleaning and detailing, others into modifying the car all round.

I love all cars, but BMW more then most but do appreciate other stuff like Jap cars that make 200BHP from a 1600cc engine, I think people that get stuck into the "I only like BMW" or "I only like Honda" are not into cars IMO....

Yeah but if it wasn't for people buying new cars we wouldnt have our current cars.

I get what you're saying about brand people though.

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: RE: Why do we do it?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrispyFish

Great reply, it sums it up for me ^^.
    Any time any one asks me how much I pay in tax, I reply by asking how much they paid for their xxxxxx and how much is worth now.
    Now I'm gone further of topic, it's just a pet hate of mine when that's the first thing somebody asks about my car :@