Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I would love to buy your car...how to go about it!

Administrator

RE: I would love to buy your car...how to go about it!

Nobody will believe me....
    I sometimes have to park the car outside the neighbours 2 doors down. I had a foreign guy call to my door one afternoon asking if I had contact details for the person who owns the 5 series over there. Asked why, is it in the way? He explained how it was very nice (I nod suspiciously) and he was interested in buying it. Let him know that it was in fact mine and his eyes lit up asking 'how much, how much??' Broke it to him that theres nothing to replace it for the money...and he totally agreed!!

So from being a bit freaked out, to closing the door with a smile on my face with plenty of compliments...it made my day!!

Im with Chris...if you arrive up with another BMW and show your enthusiasm, they'll take it as a compliment. ..worse they'll say is sorry and you're no worse off! Or at mimimum first refusal!! Who dares, wins!! Go for it!!

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: RE: I would love to buy your car...how to go about it!

Quote Originally Posted by BMW

Still have it? Pics?
    No we never planned to keep it, sold it to lads from Donegal who were puting the engine into a Sierra pickup
    No pics it was a dark green with RS kit BOA model black leather ,2 owners from new rare RS kit, but the rot had set in bad nice car to drive though !

BMWHaus Contributor

I have only ever seen the car in the owner's drive.
    Is it my car you want to buy:happy::happy:

I knocked into a guy who had a mint e36 and asked if he would sell it. 3 years later and he still has it. If you have a genuine interest in a car I think most owners will take the time out and have a chat with you.
    I know if someone knocked on my door and sounded genuine I would have a waffle with them. Sold a van to a traveller before when he knocked and asked, never had any issues or problems after that.

Always seen this silver Audi 80 B4, around Limerick some old guy driving it always wanted to ask if he would like to sell it but I highly doubt it and plus I never seem to meet him when his not driving dont want to give the poor fella a heart attack.

BMWHaus Guru

Love the B4s, especially the coupes & Avants

BMWHaus Guru

After I sold my e36 318is I was going mad looking for an e30 318is and after trying everything on donedeal / adverts etc etc I resorted to just walking around the streets of Dublin literally stalking cars and ofcourse when you have something in mind you start seeing it/hearing it everywhere, I recognised the sound of an M42 a MILE away and I would sniff it out! There were a few really nice ones in various places with no Owners for them to be found anywhere, I left some notes on some (to no avail), there was a particularly clean standard one that I kept hearing while walking around that drove passed me a few times which I eventually tracked to the rathfarnham shopping centre it belonged to an older gentleman who worked there who had for a long time and kept it in great condition, had a chat with him about cars and BMWs and told him my story, but unfortunately it was not for sale for any money. And that's the story of how I gave up on buying an e30

All in all, it's not a success story... But at least I know I tried! and I'd do it again if I was looking for a particular car, bit frustrating at times but kinda fun

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by E36
    After I sold my e36 318is I was going mad looking for an e30 318is and after trying everything on donedeal / adverts etc etc I resorted to just walking around the streets of Dublin literally stalking cars and ofcourse when you have something in mind you start seeing it/hearing it everywhere, I recognised the sound of an M42 a MILE away and I would sniff it out! There were a few really nice ones in various places with no Owners for them to be found anywhere, I left some notes on some (to no avail), there was a particularly clean standard one that I kept hearing while walking around that drove passed me a few times which I eventually tracked to the rathfarnham shopping centre it belonged to an older gentleman who worked there who had for a long time and kept it in great condition, had a chat with him about cars and BMWs and told him my story, but unfortunately it was not for sale for any money. And that's the story of how I gave up on buying an e30

All in all, it's not a success story... But at least I know I tried! and I'd do it again if I was looking for a particular car, bit frustrating at times but kinda fun
    Like The terminator only with beemers :tounge:

BMWHaus Guru

I just reminded myself of how much I wanted one of these... Would love a dolphin grey or lazur blue e30 318is with sunroof, iS splitter, iS lip spoiler on the boot in black, lowered (tastefully) on 15" BBS wheels, and the iS cloth checkered interior (actually prefer it to the leather on an e30) YUM!

Edit: sorry for O/T

a bit different story, but I bought wheels for my e63 i had earlier by sending a pm to a member who was not selling them at that time. A week after i saw the ad for sale. i think I was the first one at his door!

Some one also left a note under windscreen wiper saying where I got my wheels from with his number. I texted him back. Another story, someone was asking me at NCT center about paint code (had impreza at that time).

So all you need is to give it a go. Owner will think about it and you might be lucky!