Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Motor Tax Office to Close

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Motor Tax Office to Close

Quote Originally Posted by DoktorB
    I'd love to be able to tax my car online.........
    I'd love to be able to go the post office and get a refund on my car tax.
    You can do that right?

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by E36Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by DoktorB
    I'd love to be able to tax my car online.........
    I'd love to be able to go the post office and get a refund on my car tax.
    You can do that right?
    No.

You have to send the tax disc away to the central tax office. You may be able to do it in the tax office but not the Post Office.

You can only buy the tax disc in the Post Office. And not all post offices do this either.

I'd love to be able to buy, run and tax something at a reasonable cost *ahem* John ^^

I suppose the McDonald's across the road will have to close too now that most of its customers have to go to Smithfield

Will be interesting to see elderly people trying to TAX their vehicles on line. Not everyone knows how to use PC's or Internet or even afford those kind of services. I mean this is modern day bullying if on line tax system ever some into effect and the option of taxing it at an office will be ruled out.

Re: Motor Tax Office to Close

You can still use the phone or post if you cant go online

I can't believe there are so many people on here moaning about a tax office closing. They should all be closed! How many of you saw the ridiculous queues out the doors in August or Sept. when the new off road system was coming in. This was a perfect example of a civil service organisation that couldn't plan a piss up in a brewery. All tax should be between online or the post offices.
    The motor tax office has to be one of the clearest examples of what is wrong with the civil service, & what is wrong with this country. It absolutely makes me fume having to go in there (which I recently had to do to tax a commercial in a rush - can't do that online)

Just look at their opening hours - ridiculous. Look at their processing speeds per motorist.
    When I was there recently I could see a guy in the back office processing an off road declaration - I kid you not, he spent >10 mins looking at 2 pages, during this time he nodded off a few times, picked his nose and ate that, nodded off again....it goes on.

Makes me livid that my taxes are being wasted paying these wasters to carry out useless non value administration tasks, in the most inefficient and backward manner that you could possibly think of with absolutely no customer focus whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by gn3dr
    I can't believe there are so many people on here moaning about a tax office closing. They should all be closed! How many of you saw the ridiculous queues out the doors in August or Sept. when the new off road system was coming in. This was a perfect example of a civil service organisation that couldn't plan a p*** up in a brewery. All tax should be between online or the post offices.
    The motor tax office has to be one of the clearest examples of what is wrong with the civil service, & what is wrong with this country. It absolutely makes me fume having to go in there (which I recently had to do to tax a commercial in a rush - can't do that online)

Just look at their opening hours - ridiculous. Look at their processing speeds per motorist.
    When I was there recently I could see a guy in the back office processing an off road declaration - I kid you not, he spent >10 mins looking at 2 pages, during this time he nodded off a few times, picked his nose and ate that, nodded off again....it goes on.

Makes me livid that my taxes are being wasted paying these wasters to carry out useless non value administration tasks, in the most inefficient and backward manner that you could possibly think of with absolutely no customer focus whatsoever.
    I suppose it makes sense but post office does have extended ques at most of time definitely more then tax offices. Definitely agree with the lack of work commitment form the people who work at such places same applies to Garda etc. ofcourse cant paint them all with the same brush but a lot definitely can. I am almost certain that those savings even when closed down would not be passed to the public either way.

Quote Originally Posted by gn3dr
    I can't believe there are so many people on here moaning about a tax office closing. They should all be closed! How many of you saw the ridiculous queues out the doors in August or Sept. when the new off road system was coming in. This was a perfect example of a civil service organisation that couldn't plan a p*** up in a brewery. All tax should be between online or the post offices.

You do realise the problem here is that there is no cost saving by closing?! The building is being used to expand the social welfare office next door and the employees are being redeployed, mainly back into the council offices...to do what I dunno. Where is the savings in that?

BMWHaus Guru

Does anyone know if it's now possible to tax on-line in advance when putting it back on the road? The one saving grace of the tax office is that you could go in on the first day of the month, therefore not losing out, as you would do if waiting for the disc to be posted out