Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BMWhat app

BMWHaus Guru

Re: RE: BMWhat app

Quote Originally Posted by eddiem74
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiem74
    Just ordered this one the other day:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ELM327-OBDII-V1-5-CAN-BUS-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Interface-Scanner-/141120100660

Should have it early next week.
    Order last Monday, arrived today via AnPost.

Seems sturdy enough, will try it out later.
    Well just popped out to the car this evening for a quick test...Plugged it in, immediate red light to show power. Searched for Bluetooth devices and found it within a few seconds. Entered 1234 as the password to connect, all good. Launched BMWhat App free version selected my vehicle model/engine and connected to car first time. Ran diagnostics and sent off results to BMWhat, let's see if I get the detailed report back for doing that? Checked modules for coding and all seem good and I could check some values I changed with NCS Expert a while back and they appeared correct.

So far all positive...now to decide whether to pay the full price or not...

BMWHaus Guru

RE: BMWhat app

I invested in a WiFi dongle & the Full iPhone app.
    In the free version it only scans & creates a log that you send to BMWhat. The full version scans all the modules & returns the fault code numbers, 2A89 but no detail behind the code really.
    It also allows faults to be cleared, the coding is very limited.

A handy tool to have in the glove compartment but it's no replacement for INPA/DIS.
    There's no option to reset Service Lights either.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter
    In the free version it only scans & creates a log that you send to BMWhat. The full version scans all the modules & returns the fault code numbers, 2A89 but no detail behind the code really.

A handy tool to have in the glove compartment but it's no replacement for INPA/DIS.
    Do you know is this for all vehicle sets? or is there enhancements on some and not on others ?

I can get no information on the E46 M3 for this app.

BMWHaus Guru

Re: RE: BMWhat app

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter

Mark, I am also curious how accurate it is with regard to providing a full module list and fault code reading as compared to INPA/DIS.

Did you compare results? Or maybe your car does not have enough faults... ;-)

BMWHaus Guru

I haven't done a direct comparison but I reckon it is pretty spot on in terms of picking up errors. I have 5 errors on my car relating to a battery that is on the way out. I've ordereda new battery from Murphy & Gunn today (closest to my house here). Turns out the car should have a 110AH but it has a 90Ah & it is the original battery. Heres some screen shots from the app:

Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Guru

BMWhat app

Just an update to this. I have the bmwhat app and a vgate wifi dongle.

It connects fine to the e92 but I was a bit disappointed to see when I connected it to the e53 that a cable is required for coding but it is only supported by the android version.

I might be paranoid but I wanted to get the auto lock turned on with the increase in carjackings ATM.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH

It connects fine to the e92 but I was a bit disappointed to see when I connected it to the e53 that a cable is required for coding but it is only supported by the android version.

I might be paranoid but I wanted to get the auto lock turned on with the increase in carjackings ATM.
    IOS is very closed house tbh. So id be blaming apple on that. They are extremely picky about what they let pass into the app store and have 2-3 week turn around on assessing apps and insuring they dont conflict with apples own personal goals for apps.

Can you not get a loan of an android device to do this task?

Or else ditch iphone all together

BMWHaus Guru

BMWhat app

Quote Originally Posted by listermint
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH

IOS is very closed house tbh. So id be blaming apple on that. They are extremely picky about what they let pass into the app store and have 2-3 week turn around on assessing apps and insuring they dont conflict with apples own personal goals for apps.

Can you not get a loan of an android device to do this task?

Or else ditch iphone all together
    I don't want to have to buy the app on android too.

BMWHaus Contributor

There are ways around that