Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Worst most embarrassing car you've owned

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Worst most embarrassing car you've owned

In essence, it was a lemon - had transmission problems, idling problems, oil leak problems, brake problems, aircon problems, sat nav problems, window reg problems. $7k's worth of repairs in 3 months of ownership. Bizarrely drove fine on the test drive!

I'm sure the majority of 330i's are fine - this wasn't one of them unfortunately.

My first car was a fiat sqweekycento - I'd often lose it down a small pothole - to be fair to it,it didn't break down ....well apart from the time the gearbox fell out of it driving into Balbriggan, and the time the exhaust back box fell off driving out of Balbriggan (in my haste to recover my pride I stopped , ran back to pick up the exhaust , then picking up the red hot exhaust from the road in front of traffic I screamed like fuck when my hands were roasted !)

This was where I learned that gun gum and metal gauze do NOT permanently fix exhaust breaks.

vw mark 4 no power,audi gt,more crap ,no brakes when driven hard,you had to piss on front discs,too cool them down.:crying:

a few years ago i picked up a bright yellow renault megane sport coupe convertable with the big max power kit etc. etc. i used it to bring in the horses in the late evenings haha it had a weeks nct and no tax for 350e as a run around until i got approved a loan for my old trueno! i later sold it for 400e with the clutch slipping...weeks later i blew 3rd gear and rattled my bottom end racing down the port road in my trueno so that came off the road to get a new engine and box and i got a loan of a 1ltr death trap polo.... no power steering!!! :crying:
    also had a 1992 ford laser while in austalia... clutch and box were going for a whole year! knocked down a kangaroo bust the whole front had to be trailered home! almost boiled the headgasket as we tried drive it with the front hanging off and radiator blown in! found one for breaking and got all the parts for 100 dollars, a good hammer and a rattle can later she was mint :happy: sold it on....

Quote Originally Posted by -amanda jdm-
    a few years ago i picked up a bright yellow renault megane sport coupe convertable with the big max power kit etc. etc. i used it to bring in the horses in the late evenings haha it had a weeks nct and no tax for 350e as a run around until i got approved a loan for my old trueno! i later sold it for 400e with the clutch slipping...weeks later i blew 3rd gear and rattled my bottom end racing down the port road in my trueno so that came off the road to get a new engine and box and i got a loan of a 1ltr death trap polo.... no power steering!!! :crying:
    also had a 1992 ford laser while in austalia... clutch and box were going for a whole year! knocked down a kangaroo bust the whole front had to be trailered home! almost boiled the headgasket as we tried drive it with the front hanging off and radiator blown in! found one for breaking and got all the parts for 100 dollars, a good hammer and a rattle can later she was mint :happy: sold it on....
    forgot to mention that the trueno was the most troublesum iv had
    1. melted plugs x3 times
    2. replaced lambda sensor x3
    3. x2 buckled alloys
    4. faulty king lead replaced x2
    5. vvt switch re wired
    6. x2 new 205 metallic black front wings
    7. new gear box
    8. chocolate bottom ends shat themselves so new engine
    9. exhaust fell off x10+ times
    8. HKS 4 branch split in two
    9. manifold gasket leak
    10. idle control valve replaced
    11. manifold heat wrap caught fire
    12. cut springs were replaced with tein springs and adjustable damper shocks
    13. over-fueled.... POPS AND BANGS...:tounge:

a friend of mine lit his fag off my manifold one night with the old engine but sorted out all of the problems when i changed the engine and box then she melted plugs,leads and lambas because i fitted techno toy tuning open stack trumpets and wasnt mixing the right air and fuel and kept throwing up an enine man light which sent the ecu into safe mode and vvt wouldnt kick in so a HKS AFR chip soon sorted this and it turned her into a healthy animal with two stage vvt.. the one and only time she ever ran right i sold it :crying:

BMWHaus Contributor

Yugo 45 enough said crock of s**t

A Lexus is200. Owned it for 13 days. Drove shite drank fuel not fast and they're generally owned by tools. Don't know why I bought it.

I had a couple of em.

Most embarrassing... Honda Civic 2nd Generation back in 1982. Even the Datsun 120Y, which i had prior, looked nicer.

Most troublesome... 99 silver Rover 400 limited edition (factory alloys and spoiler). Why in heaven's name did i even buy that piece of junk??? At that time, it really looked like a well-kept car. Clean as a whistle, low miles, one owner, and cheap. Guy said gasket was done, so good for some time, i thought. Two months on, cruising with gf and 2 dogs along the scenic route around Lough Derg. A distance away from Killaloe, in the middle of no man's land, passed by a lady whose car had broken down. Not even 30 secs after turning a bend from her, the feckin Rover just conked out, died, kapoot. Luckily had breakdown assist. Waited 40 minutes, nice tow-man came & hoisted the bleddy thing back to friend's garage in Limerick. He could not locate the fault for a couple of days. Eventually got it running with damages to the tune of 300e. Then the gasket blew, and started producing cottage cheese inside the engine. Replaced the engine, and it was fine for a while. No problems at all. Then the big freeze came, when was it, '09? Cant recall exactly. Left the car undriven for a few days, and when the snow cleared, found that the car would not start. Towed it to another friend's garage and he found that the engine sump had cracked from the cold. Sickened. Still, i got 150e for it. The body/interior/ac was in very good condition. My buddy put in a new engine and sold it on for 600e. Still see the car around the odd time when im in Limerick.

Second most troublesome car... a 02 Bmw 318ci. Lovely car to drive and all, but never-ending maintenance. Unlucky i guess.

Worst most embarrassing car you've owned

I had a Skoda Fabia that loved drinking coolant. It was the last time I ever went near a 1.4ltr dinky. The higher the litre the better

BMWHaus Contributor

Not owned thank god but a rental a 141 opel astra. Embarrassed to drive it as what kind of a donkey would spend 20k + on a car that is only 5 speed, windie up windows, no bluetooth,no cruise control that's before I get to the gutless tractor diesel engine, cheap plastic and poverty comfort. God help me is this what I will be buying in 10 years when I could afford it.
    Given a choice I would prefer the daughters 97 cleo that cost 150 euro because I would be driving a car and not a shiny new number plate.