Update:

As you know, the pressure on the low end was high. I discovered this when I bought a kit.

John had a look at it and after a few minutes decided that there was too much gas in the system. He drained the gas and that brought the pressure down. I promised him that I hadn't put any Gas in the system, which i hadn't, but I'm not sure he was convinced. After this I switched on the AC. Disappointingly, the compressor didn't kick in. I thought the worst, but John just stuck a lamp down the back of the compressor and had a look. "loose wire", he said. A second later the compressor is turning. The air was freezing cold. He topped of the gas and charged me a small fee. I know have air conditioning. Although there is a rattle at idle when the AC is on. I'll sort that later.

Here's what I think happened. The air conditioning was working just fine. But, the wire on the compressor somehow became loose, maybe during a service or repair. In order to fix the AC, the person previous overcharged the system in an attempt to fix it. I spent 70 Euros on a kit to to discover the high pressure. Anyways, I guess I can recharge the system in a couple of years or when needs be.

I'm happy, and cool anyway.

Padraic