Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Mods

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Exhaust Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Steve320
    Get your catalytic converter cut out and have a flange welded either end, then do the same to a bit of stainless pipe, worst case scenario every year get some one to swap then €10 cash job , but for 11.5 months of the year you'll have a nice sounding exhaust
    Agreed. I have the cat there ready to bolt back on for the NCT :hehe!:

BMWHaus Contributor

Let's see can we peer pressure peter into getting this done

BMWHaus Guru

AC Schnitzer one is very nice on the E36

BMWHaus Guru

Will have to think about all the above.

Don't like the dtm look at all, not a fan of the schnitzer one either, just looking for 2x76mm round exit really ideally or twin round exit in general.

If a flange can be made up to make a decat easy to swap for NCT then it's an option, would love to hear what it sounds like though. Don't want it to be abnoxiously loud or have leaks etc..

Will do more homework, any other suggestions welcome

Re: Exhaust Mods

Nobody does hence the clearance

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    I haven't asked them for a quote directly but know of others who got quotes which were the same price as a good brand cat-back designed specifically for the car. I'd be more comfortable with that as the company will have had some R&D designing it, and there wouldn't be any issues like the space between the tips or anything else as it's just bolt on.

@Venom: Is that the resonator you deleted with a straight pipe? Results?
    Souhans use magnaflow rear silencers off the shelf(which you choose) and then make up pipes between it and the cats, not much R&D involved to be honest it's not exactly rocket surgery so the question there is do you want a magnaflow sound or otherwise.

BMWHaus Guru

"rocket surgery"? I was on the magnaflow site and only found they offered one for an e30 325. Decent brands make a different exhaust for the 316/318 as they do for the 138iS as 320/323 as 325/328 so surely they go through that trouble to make sure that at the very least performance isn't affected negatively. Don't want to spend money getting one made up that will spoil performance

BMWHaus Guru

This

http://www.bmwhaus.ie/forum/showthread.php?tid=2049&pid=42213#pid42213

Sounds immense, maybe slightly wider pipes to cut down on the volume. Swap it out for NCT time.

BMWHaus Contributor

It's really easy to change for nct Peter 4 bolts max

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    "rocket surgery"? I was on the magnaflow site and only found they offered one for an e30 325. Decent brands make a different exhaust for the 316/318 as they do for the 138iS as 320/323 as 325/328 so surely they go through that trouble to make sure that at the very least performance isn't affected negatively. Don't want to spend money getting one made up that will spoil performance
    Ignore what's on there site, I'm talking about there universal back boxes if they have them for mustangs and S8's I can imagine they could dig up something for a 3 series. Even factory made exhausts use the same back box for a range of cars the only difference is the pipe work. There is usually only one way the pipes can be bent and welded under a car, this isn't going to differ greatly wether you have a factory made or a custom made exhaust.