I just thought i would update this thread.

Someone mentioned that it could be the excentric camshaft sensor. I called up a BMW dealer and they quoted €480 for the excentric cam sensor ..... :crying:

Anyway, i applied some gasket sealant around that seal, cleaned out any drops of oil on the connectors and sent the car to my local mechanic to change the crankshaft sensor.

Was a PITA to change apparently.
I had purchased the part already and he charged me just €130 to fit. Happy days.

Anyhow, job now done and car running smoothly again.

In the interim i had changed the following myself:
- Castrol Oil (had purchased and stocked up on sale previously €20)
- Oil filter
- Air filter
- Pollen Filter
- 4 x Bosch Spark Plugs

- 4 x Ignition Coils
- New Battery
- Crankshaft Sensor (purchased only)
Cost: €425 +€130 labour above for the sensor replacement = €555

Now, compare that to bmwservice.ie:
€402.91
Inspection 2 or 3rd Oil service(Value Service)
BMW oil filter, approved oil and replacement microfilter. Replacement air filter and spark plugs or fuel filter dependent on model.
DNA check, Additional body, suspension and systems checks to assure safety and functionality. Free wash and vac

Value service: my ass.
What a ripoff. For an extra €153 compared to that Inspection 2 i got 4 x Ignition Coils, New Battery, Crankshaft Sensor and installation of the sensor.

The coils are at least €40 each, Battery approx €80, Crankshaft sensor €80=€320 + labour @€130 =€450

I have an OBD connector to read the codes etc and reset the EML and Service Indicators (which helped me diagnose the problem in the first place).

So BMW would have charged me what? ... perhaps €1000 or more???
Inspection 2 = €402.91
Ingnition Coils =€160
Battery = €130
Crankshaft Sensor = €50
+ labour at least €300

=€1042

Plus a charge for hooking it up to the computer for all of 5 minutes of diagnostics.
PLUS the flippin V.A.T.