hi chewy 7
just some notes re timing chain n 47 engine -- and the following issues which I tried to take account of during my meet with the ALL WE KNOW ABOUT THE CAR IN A CAR philosophy of fitting a thin single row push bike chain on the rear of a engine just for the crack .
you are informed there is a stronger modified chain fix-- however no BMW person could tell me what was modified --when I pointed out that there were new chain guides and sprockets for the cams and a new tensioner --all looking good so far --however when I pointed out that this new engineering miracle would have to run and most importantly fit correctly on a used--worn - un modified crankshaft gear which again for the ""crack"" they decided would not have a pressed on sprocket /woodruff key like all other engines on the planet --they machined a solid gear wheel on the end of the crank to make sure the mess would cost you as much as possible when the bike chain would break and carve up the "glorious great idea" into giblets-- also no proper modifications could be carried out as any fix had to fit existing " for the crack" engineering .
any fix is really a temporary measure at huge expense to me and others and re your white smoke --it can be water --it can be faulty timing --I would not rev this engine too fast until you find the cause as valves get closer to pistons the faster you rev --incorrect valve clearances will also give you white smoke -if your chain is spurious then you can line up your valves and cams using the special tool however if there is a slight difference in length or your old guides and tensioner do not fit the new chain properly you can have problems
the tensioner is hydraulic and depends on a oil pressure to get it to do its job properly --the new bmw chain requires a change of all components to match up with the new chain .
you need someone who has done this in their sleep to look at this
not somebody who will only add an issue to be fixed --if possible later. Bugs