Thread: E91 timing chain n47 project - not starting?

E91 timing chain n47 project - not starting?

Hey everyone,
    As with the majority of people with an n47, ive got the dreaded timing chain noise. Its a 11/2009 e91, 25,000km done. So i took it upon my self to remove the engine, do the chains, and put it back together. And now the car isnt starting! So some trouble shooting is in order.

A few things to note, the engine was removed around 10 months ago, then left sitting in my garage, great timing i know, haha. So i had to spray some inox, an oil lubricant/rust remover type down the injector holes and the engine started to turn all good!

I checked the timing two three times, all perfect, the special tool lines up at the top with top dead centre, cam lobes facing out, serial numbers visible on the cams.

So last night i finished everything and put it all back together after timing chain.
    - Is it true the fuel pump sprocket doesnt have to be timed with the cams?

I just left it as is, at top dead center. May have moved a little bit, but i re-adjusted keeping the cam lock on the top and the flywheel pin in.

So before i completed and put it back together, i checked again, turned by hand, the timing is good.

Now engine in the car, i go to start it, and its out of diesel. Did a few cranks before i realised.

I put diesel in, and still car doesnt start.

Do i need to prime it? Air in the system? Could you please tell me procedure to pump air out?

I will check all the plugs again tomorrow to make sure i havent missed anything.

Thank you for your assistance!

RE: E91 timing chain n47 project - not starting?

If it's like the M47 after a fuel filter change, it takes a while for it to turn over and start. Battery needs to be good for it, so might be no harm to make sure it's well charged?

BMWHaus Contributor

Sounds like an air-lock

So i followed VladBMW's advice and checked the fuel sources, etc, removed the fuel like and cranked it, etc. Then it started !

But now it has white smoke coming out the back.
    Also there is a bit of coolant in the intake pipe just before the throttle body.

Also it has two error codes:
    P1278 - BMW code 4B10 Vibration controller - Correction value too high
    P0045 - Turbo boost control solenoid circuit open
    I think it might be some kind of EGR failure ?

Any thoughts? Tomorrow i will remove the EGR valve setup, and also the intake manifold and see if all the swirl flaps are there also.

Thanks for the help guys

hi chewy 7
    just some notes re timing chain n 47 engine -- and the following issues which I tried to take account of during my meet with the ALL WE KNOW ABOUT THE CAR IN A CAR philosophy of fitting a thin single row push bike chain on the rear of a engine just for the crack .
    you are informed there is a stronger modified chain fix-- however no BMW person could tell me what was modified --when I pointed out that there were new chain guides and sprockets for the cams and a new tensioner --all looking good so far --however when I pointed out that this new engineering miracle would have to run and most importantly fit correctly on a used--worn - un modified crankshaft gear which again for the ""crack"" they decided would not have a pressed on sprocket /woodruff key like all other engines on the planet --they machined a solid gear wheel on the end of the crank to make sure the mess would cost you as much as possible when the bike chain would break and carve up the "glorious great idea" into giblets-- also no proper modifications could be carried out as any fix had to fit existing " for the crack" engineering .
    any fix is really a temporary measure at huge expense to me and others and re your white smoke --it can be water --it can be faulty timing --I would not rev this engine too fast until you find the cause as valves get closer to pistons the faster you rev --incorrect valve clearances will also give you white smoke -if your chain is spurious then you can line up your valves and cams using the special tool however if there is a slight difference in length or your old guides and tensioner do not fit the new chain properly you can have problems
    the tensioner is hydraulic and depends on a oil pressure to get it to do its job properly --the new bmw chain requires a change of all components to match up with the new chain .
    you need someone who has done this in their sleep to look at this
    not somebody who will only add an issue to be fixed --if possible later. Bugs

Okay so i removed the EGR valve. Its nice and black and sooty!

Removed the Intake manifold. All the flaps are there. Its oily.

Found the turbo plug was loose! So plugged that back in and all the error codes went away. And no white smoke either !!

But another new issue:

There is alot of crank case blow by! There is oil spurting out of the dipstick if i remove it. And lots of white smoke and pressure out of the oil cap.

Any ideas on those?

Found lots of tiny bits of metal in the oil filter. I think it might be the end.

Not sure if i should drain the oil and fit a new filter and see how it goes ?

CHEWY
    did you find this engine on the side of the road or where did these faults suddenly come from --how did your engine surprise you like this --you never said whether you fitted a new chain and guides and tensioner and also I did not think the n47 had swirl flaps in the manifold are you sure this is a n47 engine .
    blue/black/ smelly smoke comes from burning turbo engine oil not clean white smoke as mentioned previously .
    a rush of air would be heard from the turbo compressor leak at your plug if it were loose and if your engine was alright before you took the heads off then your compression leak into your sump can be connected with your head gasket fitting .--what you say does not appear to make sense if your engine was ok before the fitting of the timing chain --is this engine a stranger to you .. bugs

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by bugs
    CHEWY
    did you find this engine on the side of the road or where did these faults suddenly come from --how did your engine surprise you like this --you never said whether you fitted a new chain and guides and tensioner and also I did not think the n47 had swirl flaps in the manifold are you sure this is a n47 engine .
    blue/black/ smelly smoke comes from burning turbo engine oil not clean white smoke as mentioned previously .
    a rush of air would be heard from the turbo compressor leak at your plug if it were loose and if your engine was alright before you took the heads off then your compression leak into your sump can be connected with your head gasket fitting .--what you say does not appear to make sense if your engine was ok before the fitting of the timing chain --is this engine a stranger to you .. bugs
    They do have swirl flaps !not all but they do have
    The smoke of any collor is the first sign of damaged DPF filter ! if DPF is good there will be no any smoke only if oil go through the DPF filter ,otherwise it can't smoke !thats why it's fitted,to stop any smoke out of exhaust

BMWHaus Contributor

smoke from first start was probably all the oil he poured down cyclinders to free it up from sitting up,,,

i would also think his dpf is blocked and thats why there is steel particles in oil filter from diesel in the sump and washing the big ends this engine is fit for the bin if not stripped again,, starting with the sump and checking big ends