Quote Originally Posted by Dillon
Your spot on peter a late ap1 is best to go for in my opinion. I prefer the modals without traction control and the older suspension set up but that's really a personal preference thing.

There are a number of weak points to watch for in them when shopping. They are susceptible to rust especially bonnet, bootlid and arches (rear arches are the worst).

They also suffer from a notchy second gear from people throwing in from first to second at high revs, as you mentioned newer Modals got upgraded to carbon synchros.

They also suffer from cracked retainers from mechanical over revs - the ap2 got upgraded valve retainers but it's a good idea to upgrade these yourself on younger modals and to get that rocker cover off and check for cracks when buying

As mentioned calipers are a big problem and they stick quite a bit I rebuilt all 4 of mine and still ended up replacing the fronts six months later.

Oil starvation kills these cars as they do burn oil so need a service every 5k and very few have got that. Give that oil a good check before buying for no flakes and make sure it idles nice and smooth with no knocks. Engines are a bit ticky but you'll hear a knock

If you want to ring me when your shopping Id have no problem checking one out with you
Thanks for the info and the offer Dillon, greatly appreciated will keep it in mind!