Quote Originally Posted by dean-e36
@The scout I couldn't have asked for a more informative answer thanks a million.
@ketron I've inherited a fn shotgun and would like to keep it
No problem.

It's worth mentioning that you will have to get a trigger lock for security purposes in order to be Firearms Act compliant ( and also Criminal Justice Act 2006 ).

Also, it goes without saying but I'll say it anyway as its so important..

*Never keep gun and ammunition together.
*Never have a loaded gun in the house.
*Never point the gun at anyone in jest, loaded or unloaded.
*Never travel with a loaded firearm.
*Never discharge a firearm near a public road or dwelling house, or any building.

If you have more than one firearm you will have to get a purpose built gun cabinet, which can be securely locked and fixed to a concrete wall. Again, this is to comply with the Firearms and Criminal Justice Acts.

The Garda Superintendent in the district in which you reside will be the person that decides if you're going to get the licence or not. They will have to satisfy themselves that..

* You can demonstrate a good reason for requiring the firearm.
* You are a person who can have a firearm without posing a danger to public safety.
* You are not a disentitled person under Section 8 of the Firearms Act ( under 16, a person of unsound mind, convicted of certain offences, received a custodial sentence in the previous 5 years etc.. )
* You have a secure place to store firearm and ammunition.

It's worth having a serious think about why you want the gun, it's nice to inherit something like that and it probably has some sentimental value but consider if you are going to use it and use it often enough to warrant the expense and the effort it takes to get and keep the licence.

Also consider if you want something so dangerous in the house. There have been many sad incidents where people have been injured and killed. Especially children.

I'm sure you've though it through. It's a great pastime and the people that are into guns are generally very sound so you'd get on grand with the lads in the club.

It would be worth contacting the local gun club and do the entire process through them. I'm sure they'd help you out.

If your FN is a single barrel I would suggest it's only suitable for game hunting.

If you want to go clay target shooting get yourself an over and under.

If you want to shoot static targets get yourself a rifle.

Best of luck.