Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 635D Opinions needed.

BMWHaus Guru

635D Opinions needed.

Quote Originally Posted by nige
    I just went and test drove this....

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/6-Series/635d-Spo/117614181052137670/advert?channel=CARS

in Frank Keane BMW on the Naas Road. Its a very very nice car, looks far better in the flesh. It seems to be at the top end of the market in terms of price. I sat down and did the numbers with him and I'm in 2 minds now with what to do. It could be bought for 30k, but I'm not sure if there's any value in it? 2 owner car, 106km, full history and a 2 year warranty.

Decisions, decisions. I hopped straight out of the M3 and into it. Far superior cabin and it looks beautiful in the flesh, capable in terms of power, but i was a little underwhelmed. Im assuming you really feel the benefit of the grunt while up and running?
    I'm i exactly the same boat as you, I want an auto straight 6, rather than the m3 for the daily grind. I was leaning towards a 6 series, either a 630 or a 635d but feel like there's not a huge amount of value in either at roughly €15k+ or €25k+ respectively.

Today I looked at a low mileage e39 and if it all checks out I'll go for that instead of a 6..

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: 635D Opinions needed.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/6-Series/635d-Spo/117614181052137670/advert?channel=CARS

in Frank Keane BMW on the Naas Road. Its a very very nice car, looks far better in the flesh. It seems to be at the top end of the market in terms of price. I sat down and did the numbers with him and I'm in 2 minds now with what to do. It could be bought for 30k, but I'm not sure if there's any value in it? 2 owner car, 106km, full history and a 2 year warranty.

Decisions, decisions. I hopped straight out of the M3 and into it. Far superior cabin and it looks beautiful in the flesh, capable in terms of power, but i was a little underwhelmed. Im assuming you really feel the benefit of the grunt while up and running?
    Getting out of the M3 and straight into the 35d, it will take time o realise how the different power deliveries of the cars are achieved. Test driving the diesel is always underwhelming in my opinion, you never feel the best of it until you get used to it.

Plus, it was probably more comfortable and quieter than the M3 while being just as quick.

I assume the model will share the same pit falls as an e60 535d?
    What pitfalls? I have a 2007 535d remapped with 300k kms on it and it is going perfectly and never had any issues with it beyond normal servicing costs and wear and tear. I get low 30's mpg and drive fairly aggressively. It's the best all round car I've had (including an e60 M5).

Saying that the 635d you looked at seems a bit toppy in terms of price. I would have thought these (even 08) should be closer to 25k

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kceire

Getting out of the M3 and straight into the 35d, it will take time o realise how the different power deliveries of the cars are achieved. Test driving the diesel is always underwhelming in my opinion, you never feel the best of it until you get used to it.

Plus, it was probably more comfortable and quieter than the M3 while being just as quick.
    I guessed I wasn't getting the full benefit of the power as it's more of a beast once it's up an running, it's not a 0-60 car, I wouldn't want it to be either. I'm pretty much set on one for my next car, it's just finding the right one, but I don't think the one I test drove in Frank Keane is for me, as it's a little overpriced and there'll be a lot of depreciation if I buy at that level.

My choice of a 635d isn't really motivated by a drive to save money. I just think sometimes I could run a much more comfortable car, which is a lot newer for a similar price to my 2002 m3. I'm going to try and hold onto the M3 and keep it for the summer months (I'll have to wait and see if this is possible). It's the best car I've ever owned and perfectly capable of the day to day, I just think it's a waste putting boring miles on it, i'd rather keep it for a summer car and enjoy every spin in it! My M3 is quite rare being an original alpine white Irish M3, it's not "mint" but it's equally not rough. I've had 2 years trouble free years motoring from it and it's just ticked over 100k. Given it doesn't have a full BMW history etc, I'd be lucky to get €7-8k for it and it's almost at the stage where it's not worth selling.

635d attracts me as it's a big comfortable cruiser, that can be driven economically, but is equally almost as capable as an M3 in terms of putting a smile on your face if the mood takes you.

Thanks for all the opinions lads, very much appreciated.

BMWHaus Guru

Out of interest, what sort of mileage do you be doing Nigel?

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos
    Out of interest, what sort of mileage do you be doing Nigel?
    It depends on how often I spin back to Portlaoise to visit the folks. I work in town so have to get the luas to/from work and I don't get home till around 9pm most evenings, so the car is rarely used during the week. I'd say on average I'd do anything from 500-1000 miles a month. That's a big variation but it all depends on the month.

I used to run an e60 530i aswell as the M3 and spread the miles between them, but I now exclusively use the M3. It's a tough decision tbh, I don't do mega mileage no, but keeping the M3 taxed and the low 20's mpg get's tiresome when it's driven so little and it's driven 95% of the time very gently when it is used!

BMWHaus Guru

I'm in the same predicament tbh..use the car as a daily but it's mostly motorway driving and it's not getting used as it should be:hehe!:

I'm just thinking, if you want to go down the 635d route would the car not be sitting up most of the time too and not getting proper use?

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos
    I'm in the same predicament tbh..use the car as a daily but it's mostly motorway driving and it's not getting used as it should be:hehe!:

I'm just thinking, if you want to go down the 635d route would the car not be sitting up most of the time too and not getting proper use?
    Ha that's one way of looking at it I suppose, just seems a lot easier to leave the 635d sitting there when it costs so little to the M3 in comparison.

In short, I've just realised I sound like every other numpty in Ireland, looking to spend 30 odd grand on a car so they can save some money on tax. That'd buy a lot of tax and petrol for the M3.....

BMWHaus Guru

If I were you, I'd buy something like a golf gti as the daily..then keep the rest of the money..or..sell the M..buy a CSL and cycle to Portloaise every weekend:tounge:

BMWHaus Guru

635D Opinions needed.

The depreciating you're going to suffer on the 635d is going to cost you more than tax and fuel on the M3.

A decent low mileage 635d is 30k. Would you consider maybe a facelift 630i? Much cheaper to buy and nearly the same in terms of fuel consumption, same road tax too and no turbos to worry about. Fast diesels are so capable and effortless, it's kind of boring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk