I've driven a few of both & both are great but I have to say that the e9x is just awesome. I handed back the keys of an e92 last night having driven it all weekend & as Conor said, awesome.

The noise, the power & it just feels so right. It probably is a fair enough comparison with the e39 M5 as they are both quite agile but large cars, both have the V8 ~400bhp. I prefer the gearbox in the e92 & the brakes are also much better but a lot of e39s have a BBK fitted at this stage.

Despite the design being nearly 20 years old the e39 is a nice place to be from an interior perspective. A lot of people say that they got it too right. Just look on here at the amount of people looking at an e39 as a viable alternative to more modern machinery. It is definitely bigger on the inside than the e9x which was something I noticed when I jumped in to my e39 straight after getting out of the e92. I'm so use to the e63 space wise I thought that the e92 was a bit cramped. I owned an e30 a long time ago, that would probably feel too small now!

I always thought that the e39 M5 was going to be the last "keeper" ///M car as it looked like everything after it got too complex (v10, SMG, turbos, carbon roof, etc.) or would disintegrate (on purpose due to updated recycling laws). But the e9x has some redeeming factors which might make them a future popular classic.

The e9x M3 are typically double the price of an e39 M5 about now so that is another factor when you're weighing up value for money.

For me it would be e9x all the way.