Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Welded diff brigade finally caught up with

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Welded diff brigade finally caught up with

I've never welded my diffs ive always had lsds but I've had and driven a serious amount of cars not to mention been in many daily drivers with welders, my argument stems from little knowledge and more heressay about something not understood..yes they are dangerous but they don't have to be, a driver will kill you quicker than the car..it's why I love forums, good discussions and in this case it's an agree to disagree on both sides

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    There's a few welders on here. Wonder what they think of this?
    Just red through the whole thread again, doesnt really matter what they think does it? Theyre just being ridiculed for voicing their opinion?

And before I get lynched, im NOT having a go at anybody here. But honestly, some people are speaking from obvious personal experience, and some, well, aren't.

Or am I just talking through my hole?
    Nope I'd say you may be on the money which before it turned into a walk over I had to ask the question.

I think the difference is that people against may consider that the people for couldn't give a fuck and drive on the roads which may not be the case 100% of the time.
    [hr]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford 2
    I've never welded my diffs ive always had lsds but I've had and driven a serious amount of cars not to mention been in many daily drivers with welders, my argument stems from little knowledge and more heressay about something not understood..yes they are dangerous but they don't have to be, a driver will kill you quicker than the car..it's why I love forums, good discussions and in this case it's an agree to disagree on both sides
    Jay to be fair you were all questions yourself a little under 2 years ago when you wanted a diff off me to weld. As I was equally about the LSD.

Re: RE: Welded diff brigade finally caught up with

Worded that wrong didnt mean you solely just in general why is a diff welded ? Its mainly done for this no

http://youtu.be/BK-Veg3Yk5o

Honestly i wont lose any sleep over what people do with a welded car but imo the place for them is not on the road

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs
    There's a few welders on here. Wonder what they think of this?
    Just red through the whole thread again, doesnt really matter what they think does it? Theyre just being ridiculed for voicing their opinion?

And before I get lynched, im NOT having a go at anybody here. But honestly, some people are speaking from obvious personal experience, and some, well, aren't.

Or am I just talking through my hole?
    Nope I'd say you may be on the money which before it turned into a walk over I had to ask the question.

I think the difference is that people against may consider that the people for couldn't give a f*** and drive on the roads which may not be the case 100% of the time.
    [hr]
    Jay to be fair you were all questions yourself a little under 2 years ago when you wanted a diff off me to weld. As I was equally about the LSD.

The only questions I had were was I been stupid to put one in as bmw lsds are shit for I wanted it for on them cold and wet nights but like the majority of us you guns who buy bmws are only looking for the rwd aspect, we grow enough to know there stupid and dangerous and actually start to respect our cars

Re: RE: Welded diff brigade finally caught up with

Quote Originally Posted by mk2glenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    I had a welded diff before and drove fine dry or wet. Noticably different handling wise to the viscous LSD that was in it but still plenty capable of being driven in a normal manner. It's about the driver not the car. An M5 is more dangerous than a welded diff but if you drive it normally it'll be fine.

Not that I think they're ideal, in some cases it makes sense where an LSD isn't available and the cars only for messing but I wouldn't like 1 daily. Some people on here on very high horses being very stereotypical :surprised:
    What a ridiculous statement, you understand the dynamics of a car driving around a corner right?

There is no situation where it makes sense in a road environment.

Someone who welds a diff is someone who is too cheap to fit the proper equipment in their car, if they're too cheap for a diff you can bet that ethos will be seen throughout the car but the main point will be tyres, you didn't weld your diff for grip.

So you have a car that doesn't want to go around a corner with tyres that don't want to stick to the road, with someone who is arrogant enough to think it is safe, it's a recipe for disaster and it will be an innocent third party minding their own business who pays the price.
    I'd rather a lad with a welded diff that takes it handy than a tit with Pzeros on an M5 thinkin hes Ayrton Senna. 500bhp doesn't make sense in a road environment either now does it? Why not just fit power limiters and speed limiters to all cars that have to be on the road?

Throw us your statistics there of the amount of RTAs caused by welded diffs. Not arguing if the Gardai were right or wrong in upholding the law, but a lot of people here are very narrowminded. Yes a standard diff is safer, but that doesn't make a welded a lethal weapon.

You know the old saying, guns dont kill people, people kill people
    Couldn't of said it better myself.very true.sums up the attitude on here perfectly
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    I had a welded diff before and drove fine dry or wet. Noticably different handling wise to the viscous LSD that was in it but still plenty capable of being driven in a normal manner. It's about the driver not the car. An M5 is more dangerous than a welded diff but if you drive it normally it'll be fine.

Not that I think they're ideal, in some cases it makes sense where an LSD isn't available and the cars only for messing but I wouldn't like 1 daily. Some people on here on very high horses being very stereotypical :surprised:
    What a ridiculous statement, you understand the dynamics of a car driving around a corner right?

There is no situation where it makes sense in a road environment.

Someone who welds a diff is someone who is too cheap to fit the proper equipment in their car, if they're too cheap for a diff you can bet that ethos will be seen throughout the car but the main point will be tyres, you didn't weld your diff for grip.

So you have a car that doesn't want to go around a corner with tyres that don't want to stick to the road, with someone who is arrogant enough to think it is safe, it's a recipe for disaster and it will be an innocent third party minding their own business who pays the price.
    I'd rather a lad with a welded diff that takes it handy than a tit with Pzeros on an M5 thinkin hes Ayrton Senna. 500bhp doesn't make sense in a road environment either now does it? Why not just fit power limiters and speed limiters to all cars that have to be on the road?

Throw us your statistics there of the amount of RTAs caused by welded diffs. Not arguing if the Gardai were right or wrong in upholding the law, but a lot of people here are very narrowminded. Yes a standard diff is safer, but that doesn't make a welded a lethal weapon.

You know the old saying, guns dont kill people, people kill people

BMWHaus Guru

Welded diff brigade finally caught up with

There is not one benefit in fitting a welded diff, not one. It makes the car less safe, you can't argue that it doesn't.

If you want to have fun, that's fine, keep it on the track.

I also think it's hilarious how common sense and a fundamental understanding of physics constitutes ignorance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor

Anybody saying a welded diff is safer needs there head checked ! (And a visit to how stuff works)
    Turning with a locked axle the car is constantly fighting itself between understeer and oversteer.
    I've had a welded diff in a skid car and that's all its useful for.
    Rebuilt L.s.d in the 323i and it doesn't "skip" when turning, instead it locks on harsh acceleration and deceleration and allows a speed differential between the wheels while turning.
    Any l.s.d that skips the inside wheel when turning (essentially locked) is excessive for road use

BMWHaus Guru

A question occured to me welded diff or not how many have had her sideways at one stage or another?

BMWHaus Contributor

To many goody 2 shoes here for that Dave prob try to explain the physics of what happened to the ditch they just crawled out of

BMWHaus Contributor

HaHa!! I doubt many would own up to it anyway?

Anyway, you need a welded diff to go sideways, lsd's are only for driving around corners!!:tounge::hehe!: