Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bmw 645i

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Bmw 645i

For me it would be the valve stem seals being the biggest issue. The guys in Perfect Car in Dundalk are doing one right now. Symptoms are burning a shed load of oil & whole load of white foul smelling smoke smoke while the car is idling. There are many issues in common with the e60, in many ways they are just a 2 door e60, sharing many components, in particular the electrics.
    Me? I still think the 630i is a better proposition, I still have mine 4 years on, great car. OK, so I added an M6 in to the bargain too, skipping the V8!
    Having said all that you can pick up some fantastic bargains in the v8 e63s, especially if you get one of the ones mistakenly registered as a 2996cc engine! Of which there were many I believe!
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

Quote Originally Posted by Davy_b
    - Steering rack especially if it has active steering . costs a lot to fix . usually involves a new steering rack budget 3-4k

- Leaky engine bits, around the rocker covers, coolant, pumps, etc. very common for oil leaks they usually arent too bad to fix but still can add up to a few hundred. main issue is around the coolant pipe which costs a fe grand to sort

- Transmission issues had to install a new mechatronics unit in mine . mechanic sourced a second hand one it still cost €1400

- Alternator (apparently a sealed unit that only BMW will do and it is +1000 to replace). thats rubbish had mine replaced cost nowhere near that

- Battery, can cause all sort of errors on the dash. very true this car has a high demand on the battery fgrom memory its 110ah its a lead acid batter not too bad to replace price wise

- iDrive issues. never had any issues with idrive

- Cracked alloys yup happens easy fix

- Criminal tax rates (the singhle biggest problem :tounge:

npot much else really other than tyres are expensive and rears dont last long . headlight bulbs can go . brake discs can warp and generally expensive to replace

had mine 4 years and loved it but my god it cost me a fortune in bills. 10k +:crying:still miss it though. purely for the sound
    not sure if it has active steering but this is on the options list: S216A HYDRO STEERING-SERVOTRONIC & S229A Dynamic Drive
    How to tell if the steering rack is acting up?

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter
    For me it would be the valve stem seals being the biggest issue. The guys in Perfect Car in Dundalk are doing one right now. Symptoms are burning a shed load of oil & whole load of white foul smelling smoke smoke while the car is idling. There are many issues in common with the e60, in many ways they are just a 2 door e60, sharing many components, in particular the electrics.
    Me? I still think the 630i is a better proposition, I still have mine 4 years on, great car. OK, so I added an M6 in to the bargain too, skipping the V8!
    Having said all that you can pick up some fantastic bargains in the v8 e63s, especially if you get one of the ones mistakenly registered as a 2996cc engine! Of which there were many I believe!
    Simply cannot find a decent 630i with the spec I want though. Bunch of them from dealers with crazy prices and Irish spec.
    The 645 is a lot quicker quick in comparison.
    Only 100kg heavier curb weight which I thought to be unbelievable.
    I am more familiar with the N52 engine however since that's the same engine as my last Z4 which is easier to maintain.

So conflicted...

yup thats active steering

as for acceleration this was mine
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqJY-LMAQWE

BMWHaus Guru

Bmw 645i

Only 6er id buy would be the 635d, I know they only came out in 2008 but there an awesome car to drive with the twin turbo engine.

Not a big fan of the petrols.

3l is the best of them, can give some issues like coil packs, vanos pulleys/solenoids and valve stem oil seals.

4.4 or 4.8, basically same engine. They suffer severely with oil leaks. They are literally like two N42 engines bolted to each other and we all know what there like. All the oil gaskets will need to be replaced at some stage if there's anything over 100000kms on it. Not the most straight forward to do either so budget a good few cuid for it. Also oil has habit of ruining the alternators too so that can get pricey. Next then is the valve stem oil seals, start seeing excessive oil use and smokey exhaust then that's more than likely the cause. IMHO I never found the V8s that impressive for what your paying for.

Then as it's just a coupe E60 you have all the other issues such as:
    Gearbox oil leaks
    Control unit failures
    Steering rack play/leaks
    Suspension worn
    Crack wheels
    The list goes on.......

Remember I only see them the majority of the time with problems and I've never owned one but your better off buying one with your eyes wide open so there's little suprises!

The one I looked at I was told it had some oil leak issues and recently a bunch of seals/gaskets were replaced until it stopped, rocker cover gaskets, oil cooler, one around the timing chain.
    Water pump and coolant also replaced, spark plugs, battery, oil, filters, etc. About 108k kms on it.
    Any other way to determine valve stem oil seals issues except the blue smoke or physically checking them?