• e39 M5

27 67.50%
  • e46 M3

13 32.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battle of the greats pt. 1

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Battle of the greats pt. 1

Comparing the abilities of one against the other is completely moot. They are designed to do completely different tasks. Where the M3 excels the M5 fails and vice versa.

As to which one I prefer, I would have to choose the M5 simply because the exhaust note of the E46 reminds me of something farting thorugh a tin box.

Re: Battle of the greats pt. 1

Was a clear landslide for the m5

Was battle of two greats from the same timeframe john not which car carrys the shopping best

Just a simple question of which would you choose

Good input folks will get another up soon

BMWHaus Guru

Battle of the greats pt. 1

Great thread Gar! V tough one to call..imo i think both models still look very well today!
    I drove an e39 m5 before and the power and torque is immense along with that lovely v8 burble (although if i bought one the first mod would be a tubi exhaust ). Probably biased but i would still go for the M3..the looks, the way it sounds.. Sure its nowhere near as fast as the M5 but my god the M3 comes alive in the twisties!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Battle of the greats pt. 1

Agreed no shame in losing to the 5 its well obvious majority would be delighted with either of these i love them definitely two of my top 5 bmws

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Battle of the greats pt. 1

M5 would probually suit my needs better with the family 4 doors, but for me the m3 looks and the better ability on track, the m3 gets my vote.
    Found when driving the m5, it didn't give back the same feeling when hooning around the Backroads, m3 begs you to drive her on with the need to rev more.